Some of the best toys for kids with autism are toys that help with their ongoing development while also providing a huge fun factor.
Fortunately, reputable toys companies are becoming increasingly aware that ASD kids benefit from certain kinds of toys so there are lots of toys on the market today that are great for kids with autism.
Like all kids, autistic kids love playing, but sometimes they can find play a bit difficult as they can struggle with copying simple actions, focusing on things, learning to take their turn when playing games, and more.
But certain toys can help them develop these skills, while also helping them improve their social and communication skills.
Suitable toys for autistic children are toys that help them focus, encourage exploratory play, teach them about cause and effect, give them different types of sensory stimulation, and more.
We’ve done our homework so we can present you with some of the most suitable and popular toys for autistic children. We’ve confident that all the toys on our list will not only help aid in their development, but also let them have tons of fun!
- 9 Top Toys For Autistic Children
- Melissa & Doug Latches Wooden Activity Board
- Zupapa TUV Approved Trampoline With Enclosure Net
- Tangle Jr. Classic Fidget Toy(3 Pack)
- Skoolzy Jumbo Nuts And Bolts (24 Piece)
- MarvelBeads Water Beads Rainbow Mix Sensory Toy
- ALEX Active Monkey Balance Board
- Melissa & Doug See & Spell Wooden Educational Toy
- Kinetic Sand (Brown – 2 Pound Bag)
- Educational Insights Playfoam Combo Party Pack
- Related Posts
9 Top Toys For Autistic Children
Melissa & Doug Latches Wooden Activity Board
The Melissa & Doug Latches Wooden Activity Board is a great toy to help kids explore various types of locks and how they work.
It’s also an ideal way to help them develop their fine motor skills, and learn about colors, counting, and numbers.
This activity board can be useful for ASD kids who have delayed fine motor skills and find comfort in repetitive actions, such as opening the doors and the windows and counting objects on this activity board.
Some of the locks on this activity board are a bit harder to open than others. This will help improve your child’s focus, as they work on the lock until they’ve master the task.
Recommended for kids 3 and up, the board measures 15.5″ X 0.5″ X11.5″ and is made of wood with paper pictures of windows and doors.
Parents report that this activity board really seems to hold their child’s interest and is a great toy for them to use during quiet time. It’s an awesome toy that can be helpful for kids with autism and will provide hours of fun for your toddler and preschooler.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug Latches Wooden Activity Board
- This brightly colored board is sure to capture your child’s attention and make them eager to play with it
- It’s a great way to help an autistic child focus
- It’s fun and educational, helping your child learn about colors, numbers, and counting.
- Locking and unlocking the different locks and opening the windows and doors will help your child develop their fine motor skills
- Great ASD kids that find comfort in repetitive actions or have delayed fine motor skills
- This activity board is extremely durable and sure to hold up for many years of use
- This activity board provides hours of fun for young kids who enjoy seeing what is behind the windows and doors
Zupapa TUV Approved Trampoline With Enclosure Net
This awesome Zuppa TUV Approved Trampoline With Enclosure Net is a safe and fun toy for the entire family to enjoy!
Available in 12, 14 and 15 foot sizes, this trampoline has a heavy duty frame and is designed to have no gap between the jumping area and the spring pad for added safety.
Depending on the size of trampoline you buy, it can hold anywhere from 330 to 375 pounds of weight, making it ideal for adults as well as kids.
In addition to the trampoline, you’ll also get a ladder, the net, a rain cover, T-hooks, wind stakes, and gloves for installation. It also comes with a 10 year warranty on the frame, and a 2 year warranty on the safety net, springs, and mat.
However, it doesn’t come with grounding stakes, which you may want to purchase separately if high wind conditions are a concern in your area. Also, some parents suggest that you get the inside protection net for extra protection against the spring pad, which is a bit hard.
Although assembly is required and is somewhat time consuming, parents state it’s time well spent as their kids get years of use out of this Zuppa trampoline.
Trampolines are great activity for some ASD kids as the repetitive bouncing is somewhat comforting to them, and they like that the air rushing past them as they’re jumping provides them with tactile stimulation.
Why We Recommend The Zuppa TUV Approved Trampoline With Enclosure Net
- This trampoline will provide your child with hours of fun!
- It’s a great activity for some autistic kids who find repetitive actions comforting
- The safety net and the spring padding with no gaps makes this trampoline very safe
- Two or three kids can play on this trampoline at one time, so it’s a wonderful way to improve your child’s
- sharing and social skills
- It’s very durable and designed to hold up to years of use
- Great way to build your child’s muscles and improve their coordination
- Wonderful way to build your child’s confidence
- This trampoline will provide your child with plenty of healthy exercise
Tangle Jr. Classic Fidget Toy(3 Pack)
This Tangle Jr. Classic Fidget Toy comes in a pack of three and is the perfect toy for kids who need to keep their hands busy or who suffer from anxiety or stress.
These little fidget toys can be taken apart and put back together and the pieces can be interchanged or made into one larger fidget. They also can simply be twisted into all kinds of different shapes, which kids really enjoy doing.
Fidgets are quiet time toys and have been credited with helping kids focus and concentrate in school, and preventing nervous behaviors, such as picking at their cuticles.
For ASD kids, fidgets can provide some sensory stimulate and help ease some the anxiety they feel when they are put into new and unfamiliar situations.
Because these fidget toys have small pieces when they’re taken apart, the recommended age is 3 and up. Many adults find these fidget toys just as calming as kids do.
This pack of three is great for sharing with friends and siblings. It also allows your child to keep one at school, one at home, and one in the car when traveling so they always have one available when they need to keep their hands busy or relieve stress.
Why We Recommend The 3 Pack Of Tangle Jr. Classic Fidget Toys
- These Fidget toys are fun to play with and twist into different shapes, as well as take apart and put back together
- Great way to help autistic kids focus and keep busy to help calm them when anxious
- They’re portable and can be taken anywhere since they fit into a pocket, a backpack, or even a purse
- These Fidget toys are great stress relievers, as playing with them simply helps people to relax
- Your child can share the pack of 3, helping them develop their sharing and social skills
- They’re easy to clean; you can just throw them into soapy water and wash them or wipe them with a damp rag
- These fidget toys are durable and designed to last
Skoolzy Jumbo Nuts And Bolts (24 Piece)
This 24 piece Skoolzy Jumbo Nuts And Bolts Set is a unique and fun toy that most young kids will love.
A wonderful Occupational Therapy toy, the pieces come in 4 shapes and 6 colors, including red, orange, yellow, purple, green, and blue.
Made from non toxic, BPA free, lead free, and Phthalates free material, these oversize nuts and bolts are large and easy to grasp. Plus they come with a handy drawstring backpack that makes storage and transport easy.
While screwing and unscrewing these nuts and bolts provides hours of fun for your child, these nuts and bolts can also help with color recognition, sorting, shape recognition, and counting.
This set is also a great way to help improve your child’s fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, dexterity, and problem solving, as not every nut fits onto every bolt.
This Skoolzy toy is good for ASD kids who find repetitive tasks comforting. It may also make it easier for an autistic child to communicate and spend time with others.
Although recommended for kids 3 and up, many parents find this toy suitable for kids as young as 18 months.
Why We Recommend The 24 Piece Skoolzy Nuts And Bolts Set
- Kids think it’s tons of fun to play with!
- Great toy for autistic kids who find repetitive actions comforting
- The brightly colored nuts and bolt are appealing to kids of all ages
- Screwing the nuts on and off the bolts repeatedly will help your child improve their fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and dexterity
- Because not every nut fits every bolt, this set will help develop your child’s problem solving skills
- This set of nuts and bolts offers a variety of educational activities for your child to engage in, including color and shape recognition, sorting, and counting
- Great way to help improve your child’s focus
- The pieces are very large, making them easy for smaller hands to hold on to and play with
- They’re made from non toxic, BPA free, lead free, and Phthalates free material
- The drawstring backpack that comes with this set makes storage and transport easy and convenient
MarvelBeads Water Beads Rainbow Mix Sensory Toy
If you’re looking for an awesome sensory toy for an autistic child, this 8 ounce package of MarvelBeads Water Beads Rainbow Mix may well fit the bill.
Water beads can be especially enjoyable for kids with autism. Their smooth and squishy feel provides tactile stimulation which can soothe some ASD kids and help them relax.
Kids love that these colorful water beads magically grow right before their eyes, starting out tiny and growing larger within a few hours. They’re ideal to use in the bathtub, a kiddie pool, a water table, and many more places. Because all you need is water in some kind of container, the possibilities are endless.
Parents like that these beads are reusable, biodegradable, and in addition to being a wonderful sensory toy, they also make lovely decorations, adding a splash of color and fun to flower vases and centerpieces.
Recommended for kids 3 and up, when these water beads dry out kids are amazed that they shrink back down to their original size.
These MarvelBeads Water Beads are a great sensory toy that will keep your child happily engaged as they watch them magically transform and grow.
Why We Recommend The MarvelBeads Water Beads Rainbow Mix Sensory Toy
- Kids think they’re lots of fun to play with!
- Wonderful sensory toy for ASD kids, as touching and playing with the beads can help relax and soothe them
- Kids love the squishy and slippery feel of these beads
- They can be used in many different ways, so they’re very versatile
- Kids are fascinated with the fact that these beads literally grow right before their eyes, and then shrink back to their original size once they dry out
- They’re reusable and biodegradable
- Although this package is only 8 oz, a few of these beads go a long way once water is added
- Parents think they give you great value for your money
ALEX Active Monkey Balance Board
This awesome ALEX Active Monkey Balance Board is an ideal way for your child burn off excess energy while helping them improve their balance and motor skills.
A fun sensory toy for ASD kids, this balance board can actually be calming for autistic kids and is something they can use to help them focus on other activities.
Compact and colorful, the board consists of a platform and 2 side boards and is very easy to assemble. It’s also sturdy and designed to hold weights up to 200 pounds, so even adults can join in the fun.
Although the recommended age for using this balance board is age 3 to 7, several parents said that this board has been used by kids as young as 2 and as old as 9.
This Monkey Balance Board by ALEX Toys is a fun activity that can aid your autistic child’s development while allowing them to have fun at the same time.
Why We Recommend The ALEX Active Monkey Balance Board
- Kids find this balance board tons of fun to use!
- Can be calming for ASD kids and help them focus better on other activities
- Great way to help develop your child’s balance and motor skills
- It’s extremely sturdy and can hold up to 200 pounds, so adults can join the fun too
- Parents find this balance board easy to assemble
- Great way for your child to burn off excess energy
- Compact so won’t take up much storage space
Melissa & Doug See & Spell Wooden Educational Toy
This awesome Melissa & Doug See & Spell Wooden Educational Toy consists of 8 double-sided cut out board word puzzles.
All the puzzles are easy to do three or four letter words. In addition to the word itself, each puzzle board also has a lovely picture of the word, giving your child another way to recognize each word.
This toy comes with 50+ colorful letters and in addition to using the letters to complete the word puzzles, your child can also use them to spell other words. So these puzzles are a fun way for your child to become familiar with the letters of the alphabet.
These puzzles are also a great way to help kids with their color recognition, fine motor skills, beginning spelling skills, and early reading skills.
This wooden toy is made from sturdy particleboard and it comes with a wooden tray to keep all of the pieces together, making clean up and storage quick and easy.
Although it’s recommended for kids 4 years to 6 years old, many parents state that autistic kids of all ages really enjoy these puzzles and have hours of fun with this toy.
This Melissa & Doug educational toy is a wonderful way to encourage an early love of reading.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug See & Spell Wooden Educational Toy
- Kids think these puzzles are lots of fun to do
- This toy will help your child learn color recognition, beginning spelling and beginning reading
- Each puzzle board has a picture of the word being spelled, so kids can use the picture to help figure out what word they’re spelling
- These puzzles can help your child develop their hand-eye coordination
- They’re a great way to improve your child’s fine motor skills
- The puzzles can help your child get excited about learning to spell and read
- This wooden educational toy is well made and designed to last for years
Kinetic Sand (Brown – 2 Pound Bag)
Kinetic Sand is a great alternative to Play Doh and it’s much easier to clean up!
This 2 lb box of brown kinetic sand is a mixture of sand and polymer and kids love playing with it.
Not only does this unique sand stick to itself, it’s also easy to form into shapes and just as easy to break back down into sand.
It’s non-toxic, doesn’t dry out, and clean up is quick and easy because the sand particles stick to each other and not to whatever surface your child is playing on.
Kinetic sand is a wonderful sensory toy and playing with it can be very soothing and calming, which makes it an ideal toy for many autistic kids.
Recommended for kids 3 and up, it can be used with small molds (sold separately) and is a great way for your child to explore their artistic side.
Why We Recommend Kinetic Sand
- Kids really enjoy playing with kinetic sand!
- It’s soothing and calming to play with, so it’s ideal for many autistic kids
- Kinetic sand is easy to shape and can be used to create all sorts of things
- Ideal for imaginative and creative building, allowing your child to express themselves artistically
- Great for providing kids with sensory stimulation
- Parents like that it’s very easy to clean up
- Fun for kids of all ages; even adults enjoy playing with this sand!
- Helps improve your child’s fine motor skills
- Challenges your child’s creative thinking skills
- Excellent for pretend play, especially if used with other toys
Educational Insights Playfoam Combo Party Pack
More and more parents nowadays do everything they can to encourage their young children’s creative and artistic side.
This Educational Insights Playfoam Combo Pack is a great way to allow your small child to be creative while playing.
The Playfoam Combo Pack comes with 20 pods in a variety of colors, including; blue, purple, orange, pink, yellow, green and peach.
Each pod is about an ounce ,so there is plenty of Playfoam to keep your child creating.
Playfoam is squishy, which children like, and easy to form in different shapes.
It is also non-toxic.
If your child mixes the colors in this combo pack, the initial colors of the bead-like foam remain, so the mixture is a kind of a pastel rainbow effect instead of one muddy color.
This Playfoam is recommended for children ages 2 through 8 and parents find that older children like working with playfoam as well.
They also suggest supervising younger children in case they are tempted to put some of the Playfoam in their mouth.
Parents also find that these small pods make great party favors for children’s parties, as well as stocking stuffers or fillers for Easter baskets and Christmas.
While parents do say that this Playfoam is fairly easy to clean up, they shared that the glitter on some of it can be more difficult to clean up.
Playfoam is very good for children, and even adults, who have tactile dysfuncion and is a wonderful toy for kids with autism.
Why We Recommend The Educational Insights Playfoam Combo Party Pack
- Children really enjoy creating 3-D projects using this foam
- Easy to shape and to reshape
- Playfoam is a material that encourages creativity, because there’s so many different things you can make using it
- Cleaning up Playfoam is fairly easy and doesn’t leave behind a huge mess
- Combo pack allows you to get a lot of Playfoam for a reasonable price
- Provides good tactile stimulation, especially for children with autism
- Working this squishy Playfoam exercises your child’s fingers and helps develop fine motor skills
- Wonderful toy for cooperative and shared play