Crawling is a big milestone for your baby. It allows them to start exploring on their own, which opens up a whole new world for them. To encourage them to crawl and eventually stand and walk, some of the best toys for crawling babies are toys that stimulate their senses and help develop their grasping and fine motor skills.
Toys that your little one can chase, push, press buttons on, and interact with in any way are also wonderful at this stage. These types of toys will keep them entertained, engaged, and on the move.
And because crawling eventually leads to standing and walking, it’s a good idea to pick toys that go beyond the crawling stage; toys to help your baby stand and walk once they’re ready.
To make it easy for you to find great toys for your crawling baby, we’ve done the leg work. We’ve sifted through tons of toys and made sure that the toys that made our list are the best of the best. And you can be sure that all the toys on our list are safe, fun, and a great way to aid your little one’s development.
- 11 Top Toys That Encourage Crawling
- Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Happy Giddy Crawl-Through Tunnel
- Edushape Sensory Balls (Set of 4)
- Fisher Price Zoom ‘n Crawl Monster
- Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
- Skip Hop Explore and More Roll Around Rattle Toy Hedgehog
- VTech Wiggle and Crawl Ball
- Tolo Toys Rolling Shape Sorter
- Baby Einstein Roller Pillar Activity Balls
- Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Pull Back Soft Vehicle Set
- VTech Lil’ Critters Roll And Discover Ball
- LeapFrog Count & Crawl Number Kitty
11 Top Toys That Encourage Crawling
Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Happy Giddy Crawl-Through Tunnel
If you’re looking for a fun way to encourage your child to crawl, the Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Happy Giddy Crawl-Through Tunnel may be just what you’re looking for.
This colorful kid’s crawl tunnel looks like a cute caterpillar. It has removable clear doors on each side, and the front has an adorable caterpillar face, complete with antennae.
Made from easy to wipe clean material, this tunnel measures 57.5″ X 18″X 5″ and folds up to 18.5″ X 22″ X 3″ for easy storage.
Sturdy and durable enough to be used inside or outside, the tunnel’s main purpose is to encourage your baby to crawl. But older kids also like sitting in it, playing peek-a-boo, and even taking naps inside it.
This Melissa And Doug tunnel is sure to be a huge hit with babies who are crawling around and exploring their world.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Happy Giddy Crawl-Through Tunnel
- This is a fun toy for your little one and will keep them happily active for long periods of time
- It’s a great way to encourage your baby to crawl
- Older kids enjoy playing in the tunnel too
- It’s durable and should last for several years at least
- This tunnel is a fun inside toy and also makes a great back yard toy
- It has plenty of space for your little one to get in and out of it
- The bright colors are appealing to kids of all ages
- Parents like that the clear doors on the sides can be removed to give babies another way out of the tunnel
- It folds up easily to be stored away when not in use
- This tunnel comes with its own reusable storage bag
Edushape Sensory Balls (Set of 4)
This set of Edushape Sensory Balls has 4 brightly colored, soft balls with a bumpy texture that makes them easy for little hands to grasp, roll, kick, and throw.
They’re made from non-toxic, Phthalate and PVC free, soft plastic, and each set includes a red, yellow, green, and blue ball.
Crawling babies love chasing these 4 inch balls all over the house and older kids enjoy playing with them too. Not only are they are great crawling toy, these balls also help develop your little one’s fine motor and grasping skills, dexterity, and hand-eye coordination.
Parents like that these sensory balls are soft enough that they won’t cause any damage if played with inside the house. They’re ideal for both inside and outside play, and they’re easy to clean as you can just wipe them with a damp cloth.
These Edushape Sensory Balls are well made and lots of fun for older infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.
Why We Recommend The Edushape Sensory Balls
- These balls are brightly colored so will easily grab your baby’s attention
- They have a nubby texture which makes them easy for small hands to grip and hold onto
- Great way to develop your child’s grasping skills, dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and fine motor skills
- Grasping and squeezing these balls will help strengthen your child’s hands and fingers
- Easy for babies to roll, kick, and throw, which helps develop their gross motor skills
- Made from Phthalate and PVC free, non-toxic soft plastic
- They’re inexpensive, making them a great choice for a shower gift or for any special occasion
- Parents think they give you great value for your money
Fisher Price Zoom ‘n Crawl Monster
If you’re looking for a fun toy that’s sure to entertain your infant and encourage them to crawl, check out the Fisher-Price Zoom ‘n Crawl Monster.
To accommodate your baby at different ages and stages, this cute little toy monster on wheels has two different modes of play: chase and crawl or stationary.
In either mode, the Zoom ‘n Crawl plays over 15 silly songs, sounds, and phrases, and as your little one feeds the 5 colorful balls into the monster’s mouth, the balls spin around and then get spit out.
When you set it to the chase and crawl mode, it will roll around the room on its own and automatically spins and changes directions when it bumps into something. And to add to your infant’s sensory experience, it has a fun roller bar on the front and a soft tuft of hair on its head.
Crawling infants love to chase after this perky little monster and try to put the balls back into him. They also enjoy playing with the balls separately by rolling, kicking, and throwing them.
This delightful toy rolls best on hard surfaces and comes with 4 ‘C’ demo batteries. For best results, it’s recommended that you put new batteries in before your child plays with it.
Some parents said their child was a bit afraid of the monster at first, but quickly learned to love it and enjoy playing with it.
The Fisher Price Zoom ‘n Crawl Monster is a fun toy that will encourage your child to crawl and to explore the world around them. It’s also a great way to develop your child’s dexterity, hand-eye coordination and motor skills.
Why We Recommend The Fisher-Price Zoom ‘n Crawl Monster
- This Zoom ‘n Crawl monster provides hours of fun for older infants and toddlers
- The spinning balls fascinate kids and they enjoy playing with the balls separately
- Infants and toddlers love crawling and chasing after this adorable little toy monster
- This Fisher-Price toy will encourage your child to crawl
- It has 2 modes of play: chase and crawl or stationary, so it will grow with your child, allowing them to enjoy it both as an infant and as a toddler
- It plays over 15 fun songs, sounds, and phrases
- For added sensory stimulation it has a roller bar on the front and a soft tuft of hair on its head
- Great way to develop your little one’s motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and dexterity
- It’s lots of fun to chase after and play with!
- This colorful ball will grab your child’s attention
- The high contrast colors can help your infant focus their vision
- This developmental ball offers your child a variety of types of sensory stimulation
- From grasping to rolling to kicking to throwing, each time your child plays with this ball they will be developing their motor skills
- All of the bumps are a different texture and color
- The beads trapped inside two of the bumps rattle around and make noise
- This bumpy ball is extremely easy for infants to grasp and hold onto
- It’s lots of fun to chase after and play with!
- Great way to encourage your baby to crawl around
- It’s a simple toy that allows your child lots of opportunity for open ended play
- Made from soft, flexible rubber that’s BPA, PVC, and Phalate free
- Teething infants love gnawing on it
- The holes in the hedgehog’s body make it easy for infants to grasp and hold
- Parents like that it’s small enough to easily fit into a diaper bag
- Great way to develop your baby’s grasping and motor skills
- Infants who are a little older enjoy throwing or rolling this ball and then crawling after it
- The front of the hedgehog has a bar with beads that roll back and forth, adding auditory stimulation
- Well made and designed to last
- Babies find this ball extremely entertaining and love crawling after it!
- This Wiggle and Crawl Ball is very educational, helping kids learn to recognize numbers and colors, as well as animals names and sounds
- The fact that this ball moves on its own will make your child want to chase it, which encourages them to crawl
- Twisting, turning, and spinning any one of the 6 cute animals can help develop your little one’s fine motor skills
- Kids love the flashing lights and bright colors
- For even more fun, it has over 45 songs, melodies, sounds, and phrases
- This VTech toy has a decent battery life
- Parents like that this ball moves on its own, keeping infants and toddlers entertained for long periods of time
- Smaller kids find this toy fascinating and fun to play with
- Great toy to encourage your infant to crawl
- It provides your child with different kinds of sensory stimulation
- Kids love finding different ways to play with this rolling shape sorter
- It’s very easy to roll
- Fitting the shaped toys into the holes helps your child develop their hand-eye coordination and dexterity
- Crawling after this rolling shape sorter is a great way to improve your little one’s motor skills
- Each of the small individual shapes are easy for small hands to pick up and to grasp
- This toy can be used to help kids identify different colors and shapes
- Wonderful toy for pretend play
- Parents report that this shape sorter holds up to the rough play of toddlers
- It’s a great toy for both babies and toddlers, so it will grow with your child and can be used for several years at least
- They’re lots of fun to play with!
- Kids love that the caterpillar head lights up when that ball is dropped, thumped, or gets banged on something
- Babies quickly learn exactly how to make the caterpillar head light up
- Bright colors are appealing to infants and toddlers
- Great way to encourage your baby to crawl
- They provide your infant with different types of sensory stimulation
- These activity balls are the ideal size for small hands to grasp, hold, roll, throw and bang together
- Wonderful way to help develop your baby’s grasping and fine motor skills
- Great way to improve you little one’s dexterity and hand-eye coordination
- Good battery life for the caterpillar head ball
- Parents say that these balls are durable and hold up well to being thrown, dropped, banged together and even kicked
- Babies find this cute vehicle set fun and love playing with them and even chewing on them
- Great toys to help encourage your infant to crawl
- Parents like that these vehicles are soft and squeezable
- They’re colorful and sure to capture your child’s attention
- These vehicles can help develop your little one’s fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and dexterity
- Wonderful way to improve your child’s problem solving skills
- The pull and release function allows these vehicles to go quite a distance
- Great way to teach your child cause and effect, as they learn that if they pull them back and release them, these vehicles will roll on their own
- They’re very easy to clean
- They come with a convenient carry case for easy transport and storage
- These vehicles are durable and will last for several years at least
- It’s tons of fun to play with!
- This ball is educational and will help introduce your little one to animals and numbers
- Wonderful toy to encourage your baby to crawl
- Rolling and kicking this ball can improve your infant’s gross motor skills
- The tags sticking out all over the ball make it easy for your baby to grasp, throw, and pull this sensory ball
- Your child will quickly learn cause and effect as they discover that pushing the star makes the ball speak, and rolling, kicking it or shaking it will allow them to hear fun songs and sounds
- Wonderful toy to help develop your infant’s early language skills
- When your child plays with this ball with parents and siblings, they are developing basic socialization skills and learning how to share
- Hidden on/off switch allows you to turn the sound off if you want to
- Kids think this little kitty is colorful and fun to play with!
- It can help your child recognize numbers and learn to count
- Kids enjoy pushing this kitty around, which encourages them to crawl
- The fun songs the kitty plays are geared towards young children, helping them to develop an early love of music
- Great way to help your child improve their motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- This toys is well made and is sure to hold up for years of use
- Parents like that it has two volume levels
- The music and songs can help your little one develop a sense of rhythm
Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
The Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball is a fun and colorful ball that’s perfect for infants who are sitting up and starting to crawl.
An excellent sensory toy, this awesome ball has a bunch of chunky bumps that are made up of different textured material. And as an added bonus, there are beads trapped inside two of the bumps and they make noise when your baby plays with it, which kids love.
The chunky bumps make this developmental bumpy ball very easy for your baby to grasp, hold onto, and move from hand to hand.
Not only is this bumpy ball great for stimulating your baby’s senses, it’s also an ideal way to help strengthen their fingers and hands. Plus the bright contrasting colors can also help improve your baby’s focus.
The Sassy Developmental Bumpy ball is a safe, fun way to encourage your child explore their environment, while at the same time helping their developmental growth. Whether they’re crawling after it, rolling, kicking, or throwing this ball, your child will have tons of fun with it!
Why We Recommend The Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
Skip Hop Explore and More Roll Around Rattle Toy Hedgehog
If you’re looking for a simple toy that your little one will find amusing and fun, this Skip Hop Explore And More Roll Around Rattle Hedgehog may just fit the bill.
Not only do kids love rolling this adorable little hedgehog around, they also enjoy using it as a teether. Plus the beads on the front roll around on the bar, making a fun noise.
BPA, PVC, and Phalate free, it has a cute little heart-shaped face. The body is soft, flexible rubber with lots of holes to make it easy for your baby to grasp.
Although it’s a very simple toy, lots of parents are surprised by how fascinated infants and toddlers are by this roly poly rattling hedgehog. Babies love rolling or throwing it and then crawling after it so they can pick it up and shake it or chew on it.
Recommended for kids 3 months and up, this little toy is easy to clean by wiping with a damp cloth.
This Skip Hop Explore and More Roll Around Rattle Toy is lots of fun and makes a great gift for a baby shower or other special occasions.
Why We Recommend The Skip Hop Explore And More Roll Around Rattle Hedgehog
VTech Wiggle and Crawl Ball
You’ll enjoy watching your little one crawl after the delightful VTech Wiggle and Crawl Ball as it wiggles, wobbles, and rolls its way across the floor!
This brightly colored ball is a wonderful way to provide your child with lots of different types of stimulation. It has 6 cute animals, including a turtle, a dog, a bunny, a bear, a bird, and a cat. Your child can spin, slide, or twist the animals to discover how to move them.
It also has 5 flashing lights, and plays over 45 songs, melodies, sounds and phrases. It’s a super fun, interactive toy that can help introduce infants and toddlers to colors, numbers, counting, and animal names and sounds.
It’s a great way for kids to improve their hand-eye coordination, grasping, and motor skills. Parents love that it moves all on its own and that it has a volume control.
This ball requires 3 AA batteries (included), and although it will roll on carpet, it rolls best on smooth floors, such as hardwood or laminate.
Recommended for kids 6 months to 3 years, most parents said that the VTech ball not only encourages their child to crawl, but also keeps them giggling and entertained for hours!
Why We Recommend The VTech Wiggle and Crawl Ball
Tolo Toys Rolling Shape Sorter
If you’re looking for an educational toy that will also provide hours of fun for your infant or toddler then this Tolo Toys Rolling Shape Sorter may be the ideal toy.
Bright and colorful, this shape sorter comes with 6 little toys that fit into the three different shaped holes. Each toy rattles when your child shakes them and they’re large enough to not pose a choking hazard for your little one, but small enough to make them easy enough to grasp.
The shape sorter itself can be turned on its side and rolled across the floor so your infant can have fun crawling after it. It’s also entertaining to watch the little toys bounce around inside the shape sorter when it’s rolling around.
It’s BPA free and the lid comes off with a simple twist, making it easy for you to get the shaped blocks out.
This fun Tolo toy can be used in a number of different ways. In addition to crawling after it, kids also love to figure out which little toy fits into each hole. Older kids enjoy taking the lid off and putting other small toys inside.
This rolling shape sorter is also great for imaginary play, as your child can pretend the toys are in jail or locked away somewhere and need to be rescued.
A wonderful toy to encourage your child to crawl, it’s also a great way to help improve your child’s grasping and motor skills, hand-eye coordination and dexterity. It’s also ideal for helping your child recognize colors and shapes.
This toy will grow with your child because it’s great for any child who is sitting up and crawling, but also lots of fun for toddlers.
The Rolling Shape Sorter by Tolo Toys is a fun toy that provides your infant and toddler with different kinds of sensory stimulation and lots of different ways to play.
Why We Recommend The Tolo Toys Rolling Shape Sorter
Baby Einstein Roller Pillar Activity Balls
These Baby Einstein Roller Pillar Activity Balls are a lot of fun and a great way to encourage your baby to crawl!
Cute as cute can be, each of the 5 balls in this set will provide your baby with a delightful sensory experience.
The yellow ball looks like an adorable caterpillar head and it lights up when your little drops it, thumps it on the floor, or bangs it on something. This is the only one that requires a battery (included) and although parents like that the battery life is good, they don’t like that there’s no way to replace the battery once it dies.
Two of the other balls make fun rattling noises when shaken. One has a sweet red bird sitting in a little nest, and the other one has a picture of a charming puppy that spins around when the ball rolls.
These sensory balls are the perfect size for little hands to grasp, throw, roll, and bang together. With all the different types of sensory stimulation they provide, your little one will love crawling after these balls.
They’re also a great way to develop your baby’s grasping and fine motor skills, dexterity, and hand-eye coordination.
Recommended for kids 5 months and up, these colorful balls are sure to grab your child’s attention and they’ll enjoy playing with them in different ways.
Parents like that these balls are simple and fun for babies, and kids love making the caterpillar head light up and quickly learn how to do so.
Fun and stimulating for babies and toddlers, these Baby Einstein Activity Balls make a great gift for any special occasion, such as a baby shower or Christmas.
Why We Recommend The Baby Einstein Roller Pillar Activity Balls
Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Pull Back Soft Vehicle Set
This Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Pull Back Soft Vehicle Set is the perfect vehicle set for older babies and toddlers.
This soft and lightweight vehicle set features four vehicles: A bus, a car, a fire truck, and a police car. Each vehicle is stuffed with cloth, except for the wheels, and you also get a convenient carry case to make transport and storage easy.
To make these vehicles go, all your child has to do is pull them back and release. The pull and release function is extremely easy for older infants and your child will love pulling them back, letting them go and then crawling after them.
A fun way to encourage your little one to crawl, this Melissa And Doug vehicle set is also a great way to develop your child’s fine motor skills, dexterity, and hand-eye coordination.
Parents like that the fact that the wheels on these vehicles are easily removed (they attach with Velcro), and the bodies of the vehicles can then be washed. While they work well on carpet, they work even better on smooth hard floors.
Although these vehicles are recommended for kids 9 months to 4 years, many parents said that kids as young as 6 months can play with them and quickly learn how to make them go.
Kids of all ages are fascinated with vehicles and this bright and cheerful soft vehicle set would make a great addition to your little one’s toy collection.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Pull Back Soft Vehicle Set
VTech Lil’ Critters Roll And Discover Ball
The VTech Lil’ Critters Roll And Discover Ball is a colorful fun ball that’s covered in soft material and decorated with numbers and cute characters.
It has a motion sensor that triggers fun music and sounds when the ball is rolled, kicked, or shaken. Plus your little one can push the star to hear about animals and numbers.
There are tags sticking out all over the ball that make it easy for your infant to grasp, pull, and throw this awesome sensory ball.
Babies enjoy crawling after this ball and chasing it as it rolls away singing happy little songs. And of course, they love pushing the star so they can make the ball talk to them, telling them about numbers and animal names and sounds.
Kids who are old enough to sit up like rolling the ball to someone else and having them roll it back.
Parents like that it has a hidden on/off switch so you can turn off the sound if you want to. They also like that this ball is soft and visually appealing.
It’s recommended for kids 6 months-2 years old and requires 2 AAA batteries. Although demo batteries are included, it’s recommended you install new batteries before your little one plays with it.
A fun and educational toy, this VTech Lil’ Critters Ball is a great way to encourage infants to crawl and it’s very entertaining for toddlers too.
Why We Recommend The VTech Lil’ Critters Roll And Discover Ball
LeapFrog Count & Crawl Number Kitty
The LeapFrog Count & Crawl Number Kitty is a fun and educational toy that will entice your baby to crawl and chase after it.
This cute musical toy has a learning mode and a music mode. In the learning mode, your little one will hear numbers and fun songs about counting. In music mode, your child will hear different musical notes, silly sounds, and entertaining songs.
The Count And Crawl Number Kitty is easy to roll and your infant will be treated to cheerful catchy tunes while it rolls across the floor. Your child can also sit this colorful kitty up on its hind legs and spin the ball of yarn that’s between its paws to hear a couple of fun songs.
Measuring about 1 ½ feet long and about 6 inches high, it requires 3 AAA batteries (included) and has two volume levels and an on/off switch.
Although it’s recommended for kids 1-3 years old, several parents said their child started playing with this toy between 6-8 months.
An ideal toy to encourage your little one to crawl, this LeapFrog push toy is also a great way to develop your child’s fine motor skills and introduce them to numbers and counting.
Why We Recommend The Leap Frog Count & Crawl Number Kitty