At the age of 9, your child is betwixt and between kid and tween. He’s becoming more and more independent, wanting to do ‘grown up’ things, but he’s also not ready to leave the world of toys behind.
His increased attention span allows him to focus better and not get frustrated or bored as easily. Some 9 year old boys are already showing signs of puberty, such as increased muscle development and energy levels due to surging hormones.
We kept all of those things in mind when choosing the best toys for 9 year old boys. That’s why you’ll find sports toys that allow your child to stay active,thereby supporting his increased energy level and enhancing his developing muscles.
We’ve also chosen more complex building toys because he’s more able to focus and is up for bigger challenges. And, as always, all our toys are picked because they’re tons of fun and we think that’s important at any age!
- 10 Top Toys For 9 Year Old Boys
- Snap Circuits Extreme SC 750 Electronics Discovery Kit
- SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop
- Gravity Maze
- Slackers Slackline Classic Set (50 ft)
- K’NEX 70 Model Building Set (705 Pieces)
- Perplexus Star Wars Death Star
- Razor A5 Lux Scooter
- Doinkit Darts Magnetic Dart Board
- LEGO Minecraft The Farm (21114)
- Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX Tagger 2 Pack
10 Top Toys For 9 Year Old Boys
Snap Circuits Extreme SC 750 Electronics Discovery Kit
If you have a science buff or your child is interested in electricity and circuitry, this Snap Circuits Extreme SC 750 Electronics Discovery Kit is an ideal toy for him!
Building on the hugely popular award winning Snap Circuits SC-300 Kit, the SC 750 contains over 80 different and more than 750 building possibilities.
Fun projects such as a burglar alarm, a lie detector an FM radio are sure to excite your child and provide hours of fun learning and exploring!
The Extreme SC-750 Kit comes with 5 different instruction manuals, a fan, a motor, a speaker, LED displays, resistors and much more. Everything your child needs to build all kinds of fascinating circuits.
When I gave this kit to my 9 year old nephew he went crazy over it! Over the course of 2 days, he spent hours doing the projects and loved every one of them.
The SC-750 will give your child an excellent hands-on introduction to electronics and circuit building.
Why We Recommend The Snap Circuits Extreme SC-750 Electronics Discovery Kit
- Kids love that there are so many different projects to create!
- All the parts are very well made and durable
- The 5 instructions books are full color and well thought out
- Helps develop your child’s motor, problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Kids love that the instructions are easy to follow and explain how to assemble and operate all the projects
- Projects range from relatively easy to more complex
- Kids have a ton of fun building these circuits!
- Great way to improve your child’s ability to read and follow directions
- Parents love that their child learns while having fun
- Wonderful way to spend some quality time with your child, helping them learn new and interesting things
SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop
The awesome SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop can be hung from any door in the house and will give your nine year old boy hours of indoor basketball fun!
This over the door basketball set comes with a professional quality 18″ X 12″ polycarbonate shatterproof backboard, a 9″ hoop that has durable netting and a breakaway steel rim, and a 5″ mini basketball.
To help prevent damage to the door it’s hung on, both the backboard and door mounts are lined with protective foam padding. And assembly is quick and easy so you can have this up and ready for action in no time flat!
The mini basketball has the feel of a real basketball and the spring-loaded rim is perfect for slam dunks.
This cool Pro Mini Basketball Hoop set makes it easy for your active child to remain active inside even when the weather outside is bad.
It’s a wonderful boredom buster and it’s fun for the whole family!
Why We Recommend the SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop
- Kids say it’s tons of fun!
- Helps develop your child’s motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Spring loaded rim makes for tons of slam dunking fun
- Mini basketball feels just like a real full size basketball
- Can be hung over just about any door in the house
- Easy, quick assembly
- Great for those foul weather days
- Durable and well made
- Fun for the whole family!
If your 9 year old loves a fun challenge, Gravity Maze is the perfect gift for him!
Developed by the minds at Thinkfun, this cool single player game combines a fun marble run (an excellent STEM toy) with an awesome logic game.
The game comes with 1 game grid, ten 3D towers of varying sizes and colors, 3 marbles, 60 challenge cards that range from beginner to expert and instructions.
Your child picks a challenge card and that card will show him how to set up the grid. Once it’s set up, the goal of the game is to build a tower path that will carry his marble all the way from where he drops it at the starting point to the target.
Gravity Maze has won numerous awards and was featured in Purdue University’s 2016 Engineering Gift Guide.
This fun logic game with multiple levels of difficulty is sure to go a long way in challenging your nine year old’s visual perception and power of reasoning.
Why We Recommend Gravity Maze
- Kids think it’s tons of fun to play!
- Helps your child improve his critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Kids love that there are 4 levels of difficulty so they can progress through the levels at their own pace
- Encourages creative thinking and strategic planning
- Kids love the 3D aspect of the towers
- All the pieces are very well made and built to last
- Parents think the game gives excellent value for money
- Fun and challenging for the whole family!
- • Parents think the game gives excellent value for money
Slackers Slackline Classic Set (50 ft)
The Slackers Slackline Classic Set (50 ft) is not only tons of fun, it’s also a great way for your nine year old to improve his balance and core strength!
This set includes a 50 ft long, 2″ wide 100% polyester slackline and an identical, thinner teaching line. The teaching line is a hand line that you string above your child’s head so he can hold onto it for extra support and balance while walking across the slackline.
The sturdy metal ratchets allow the tension on the line to be adjusted quickly, keeping your child safe and ensuring a fun walk. This set also comes with a convenient storage bag and an instruction manual.
One of the things that’s really appealing about this Slacker’s slackline set is that it’s close to the ground so there’s no danger of injury should your child fall off. Plus the training line makes it less intimidating for younger or less experienced kids.
The slackline itself is study but flexible enough to allow kids to bounce on it if they want to. And it has a maximum weight capacity of 250 lbs which means that older kids and adults can use it too.
This slackline is ideal for boys and girls and it’s a really great way to provide your child with fun and exercise. As an added bonus, it’s super easy to pack up and take with you when you’re on the go.
Finding backyard toys that your child really enjoys and will use for long periods of time can sometimes be difficult. This slackline is not only fun, it’s also something that your child can enjoy for years to come!
Why We Recommend The 50 Ft Slackers Slackline Classic Set
- Kids think it’s tons of fun to do!
- Because of the teaching line, it’s something that pretty much any kid can try
- It’s low to the ground so there’s no chance your child will get hurt
- Great way to improve your child’s motor skills, balance and core strength
- Easy to set up and take down
- Fun for the whole family!
- Easy to pack up and take with you when you go camping, to the cabin, on picnics or anywhere else it can be set up
- The slackline is extremely strong and durable so will last for years
K’NEX 70 Model Building Set (705 Pieces)
If your 9 year old son loves to build and needs a big building set that will allow his creative juices to flow, check out the K’NEX 70 Model Building Set!
Consisting of 705 pieces, this K’Next set is a wonderful STEM toy that’s designed to teach the basics of engineering.
Some of the models designs in this kit include planes, cars, boats, animals and lots more. All the builds are great to play with and to display and everything comes packed in a large cardboard treasure chest that makes clean up and storage super convenient and easy.
Although the set allows your child 70 unique builds, the included instruction book only gives directions for 16 builds. The rest can be accessed online and all the information needed to do that is in the instruction book.
As your child progresses through the instruction book, the builds become more complex and this keeps him engaged and challenged.
This K’Nex building set is great for any child who loves building and using his imagination. And with 70 different models to build and play with, it’s sure to provide kids with hours of fun!
Why We Recommend The 705 Piece K’NEX 70 Model Building Set
- Kids love all the different things they can build with this kit!
- All the models your child builds can be played with once they’re built
- Great way to improve your child’s motor skills, hand-eye coordination and dexterity
- The instructions consist of colorful, easy to follow diagrams
- Allows your child to explore his creativity and imagination
- Wonderful way to help your child improve his problem solving skills
- Plenty of pieces so more than one child can build at the same time which encourages your child to share
- Once built, all the models provide hours of pretend play fun
- Comes in a large storage chest that makes clean up and storage easy and convenient
Perplexus Star Wars Death Star
The Perplexus Star Wars Death Star is an awesome 3-D maze puzzle that is sure to put your 9 year old’s brain power to the test!
Complete with fun lights and cool sound effects including Darth Vader’s breath, your child’s mission is to navigate his X-Wing’s Starfighter through the tricky paths and perilous tunnels. By mastering the maze, he destroys the Death Star.
But to do this takes time and patience as this maze has to be solved step-by-step.
The labyrinth inside the transparent sphere is built in the shape of a Death Star, which was is the moon-shaped space station that symbolizes the power of the Empire. The unique sphere shape maximizes visibility, making it easier for your child to see exactly what he’s doing every step of the way.
This challenging maze puzzle comes with a base to place the sphere on when it’s not in use and requires 3 AAA batteries (not included).
This fun maze is great for both boys and girls and it’s an ideal gift for any Star Wars fan!
Why We Recommend The Perplexus Star Wars Death Star
- Kids think it’s fun and challenging to do!
- Great way to improve your child’s problem solving skills and critical thinking
- Teaches your child patience and perseverance as it’s not a puzzle that he can just shake and solve
- Star Wars fans love that they get to maneuver the X-Wing Starfighter through the maze
- Well made and built to last so can be passed down from child to child
- The fun sound effects and lights add to the Star Wars experience
- Fun for the whole family!
Razor A5 Lux Scooter
The Razor A5 Lux Scooter is a well designed dependable scooter that will give your nine year old an awesome ride!
With a t-tube and deck that are made from aircraft-grade aluminum, this scooter can support up to 220 lbs. And the extra large urethane wheels will give your child a smooth ride even on uneven terrain.
The rear fender brake makes stopping safe and easy and it comes with a handy kick stand that will keep it upright when there’s nothing to lean it against.
There’s comfortable foam on the grips and the adjustable handlebars ensure that this amazing scooter grow with your child. Plus it’s lightweight and has a patented fold up design which makes it easier to carry when it’s not being ridden.
The A5 Lux Scooter comes in a variety of colors so it’s perfect for both boys and girls. It’s an ideal mode of transport for kids on the go and it will provide your child with hours of fun year in and year out.
Why We Recommend The Razor A5 Lux Scooter
- Kids say this scooter is tons of fun to ride!
- The larger wheels make for a smooth ride, even on rougher surfaces
- Great way for your child to get some exercise and build his muscles
- It’s lightweight and folds up, making it easy to carry
- Great way for your child to get around
- Rear fender brake makes for quick, safe stopping
- Helps develop your child’s balance and coordination
- Can support up to 220 lbs and has adjustable handlebars so it will grow with your child
- Is very well made so will last for years
Doinkit Darts Magnetic Dart Board
This Doinkit Darts Magnetic Dart Board is a great game for kids and it’s one the whole family can enjoy!
The 16″ diameter magnetic dart board comes with 6 darts. The darts are lightweight, strong, flexible and fly true. Plus they can’t be pulled apart so they don’t pose a choking hazzard.
The magnetic tips are extremely powerful and stick well to the dart board every time. And because the tips aren’t pointy and sharp, they’re safe for kids of all ages and won’t damage the wall should someone miss the dart board.
There are 2 slots in the back of the dart board, making it easy to hang and this dart board is the ideal size for just about any wall.
On a personal note, I recently visited my best friend and their Doinkit Magnetic Dart Board has become her 9 year old son’s favorite toy. We spent hours playing together so I can definitely vouch for how much fun this dart board is.
It’s sure to provide hours of fun for your child and it’s a great game for family game night!
Why We Recommend The Doinkit Darts Magnetic Dart Board
- Darts is lots of fun to play!
- It’s safe for kids of all ages
- Helps develop your child’s hand-eye coordination and motor skills
- The darts fly straight and stick very well to the dart board
- Great way to develop your child’s sportsmanship
- The darts won’t damage the wall, should they hit it
- The dart board is easy to hang
- Fun for the whole family
- Well made and designed to last
- Parents say it gives you great value for your money
LEGO Minecraft The Farm (21114)
This awesome LEGO Minecraft The Farm building set is a wonderful gift for any child who’s a fan of LEGO and Minecraft!
The 262 piece set has everything your nine year old needs to build his own Minecraft farm and comes with 4 cool minifigures: Steve with his trusty shovel, a cow, a sheep and the evil skeleton with his bow and arrow.
Accessories include a pumpkin (that can also be used as Steve’s head), torches, flowing water, a tree, carrots, sugarcane, wheat and a chest with a loaf of bread inside.
The Farm also features an animal enclosure with a swinging gate and a crafting table that Steve can use for any number of things.
On The Farm, your child can plant a crop using the flowing water to nurture it and then sit back and enjoy the harvest. Or he can have Steve chase off the evil skeleton or have fun raising his livestock. With this set, there are all kinds of fun pretend play scenarios!
But whatever he does, he needs to watch out for the skeleton after dark! The skeleton can only come out at night because the sun will burn him unless he’s in water or under shade.
This LEGO building kit can be used to build the farm in a number of ways so your child can customize the build to suit his needs. Plus he can combine The Farm with other Minecraft building kits for even more LEGO Minecraft building fun and adventures!
The Farm is ideal for boys and girls. It’s a great building set that allows kids to combine LEGO and Minecraft in a fun and interesting way!
Why We Recommend The LEGO Minecraft The Farm (21114)
- Kids think it’s tons of fun to build!
- The Farm can be built in a number of different ways
- Great for pretend play
- Encourages your child’s creativity
- Lots of fun to play with after it’s built!
- Helps develop your child’s problem solving and motor skills
- Very well made and designed to last
- Can be combined with other LEGO Minecraft building kits for even more building fun!
Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX Tagger 2 Pack
This awesome Nerf Lazer Tag Phoenix LTX Tagger 2 Pack takes Nerf battles to a whole new level!
Some of the amazing features are cool sound effects, quick and easy reload, ten shot clips, an ammo indicator, indoor/outdoor switch and more.
The object of laser tag is to tag the gun of an opposing player. Each Phoenix LTX Tagger has a red dome on top and they register a hit with lights, sounds and vibrations.
When a gun gets tagged, the dome lights up, the gun vibrates and the player whose gun has been tagged hears the ‘hit’ sound effect.
Up to ten shots can be fired before reloading and each time your 9 year old fires, he’ll hear a cool laser sound and see a light on the top of his laser gun.
The LED lights on the ammo indicator keep track of how much ammo he has left and the gun becomes disabled when it’s time to reload.
Once ten shots are fired, reloading is quick and easy.
In addition to the regular firing trigger, these guns also have a a shield trigger. When your child presses that trigger, it activates a shield which stays activated for ten seconds. During that time, he’ll hear another awesome sound effect, a green light will flash and best of all, he can’t be tagged.
Each Phoenix LTX Tagger also has a strength selector and an indoor/outdoor switch. The strength indicator allows kids to choose whether they want ten or twenty-five tags per game and the indoor/outdoor switch determines how much range the laser has.
On the indoor setting, the guns have a shorter range than on the outdoor setting. That means that when your child’s gun is on the indoor setting he has to be closer to his opponent in order to tag them.
As long as every player has their own LTX gun, there’s no limit to the number of players that can play. According to consumer reviews, these Nerf laser guns have a range of 250 – 300 ft when on the outdoor setting, which makes for a fantastic and competitive game of laser tag!
12 AA batteries are needed – six for each gun and the batteries are sold separately. Although 6 batteries can make the gun a bit heavy, it’s well worth it for the awesome lights and sound effects!
This Laser Tag kit is loved by kids and adults alike. It’s a great gift for any child who’s into playing war, having a shoot out or simply looking for a new fun to game to play with friends and family.
Why We Recommend the Nerf Laser Tag Phoenix Tagger 2 Pack
- It’s a ton of fun to play!
- Kids love the cool sound effects and lights
- Great way for your child to get some exercise and do some strategic thinking
- Can be played with an unlimited number of people, as long as everyone has their own LTX gun
- Very safe
- Easy to use and very well made
- Helps improve your child’s motor skills, hand-eye coordination and dexterity
- Can be used inside and outside
- Fun for the whole family!