By age eight, your little boy will have more highly developed motor, communication and intellectual skills, so the best toys for 8 year old boys need to reflect this.
He’ll have developed interests in a wider variety of things and will be eager to explore and discover.
But he’ll also want to continue with the rough and tumble world of boys where he can have fun and stay active.
Eight is a great age to introduce him to more complex building sets, real musical instruments and even some cool robotics.
We chose our best toys for an 8 year old boy based on your child’s growing skills, his need to have fun and his desire to hang out with friends and express himself.
- 9 Top Toys For 8 Year Old Boys
9 Top Toys For 8 Year Old Boys
Melissa And Doug Deluxe Magic Set
If you have a budding magician in your midst he’ll be thrilled with the awesome Melissa And Doug Deluxe Magic Set!
This kit includes everything your eight year old boy will need to master 10 classic and awe inspiring magic tricks that will make him the hit of any birthday party or play date.
Maybe he’ll dazzle his audience with the disappearing ball trick, amaze them with the magic coin box or astound them with his multiplying quarters. No matter which illusion or sleight of hand trick he performs, the spectators are sure to be impressed!
The wooden pieces in this magic set are designed to withstand countless hours of practice and years of performing these magic tricks. Plus the handy wooden storage box keeps everything together between performances.
All the tricks in this magic set are easy to learn and it’s a wonderful way to introduce your child to fun hobby that he can build upon for years to come.
This magic set is ideal for both boys and girls and would make a great gift for any occasion.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug Deluxe Magic Set
- Kids think it’s tons of fun!
- The tricks are easy to learn
- Great way to build your child’s confidence
- This magic set is excellent quality< and built to last
- Helps improve your child’s motor skills and memory
- Wonderful way for your child to improve his verbal skills
- Wooden storage box keeps everything together and makes for easy clean up
- Fun for the whole family!
Zing Air Hunterz Z-Curve Bow
If your boy is an archery enthusiast, he’ll love the awesome Zing Air Hunterz Z-Curved Bow!
With this toy bow and arrow set, safety is a top priority because the bow won’t shoot any other type of arrows except the ones that are specially designed for this set.
So your child won’t be able to shoot any other arrows or projectiles using the Hunterz Z-Curve bow.
The set includes 2 different types of arrows and there are a total of 3 arrows altogether. Your boy will get 2 of the cool foam tipped Zonic arrows which not only fly up to 100 ft, but also whistle while soaring through the air.
The foam tips makes them super safe and on top of all that, they’ll also bounce off of any hard surface they hit!
The other arrow included in the set is the fun Zart arrow and this one has a powerful suction cup on the end so it will stick to almost any surface. Although only 3 arrows are included in this set, additional arrows can be purchased separately.
This awesome bow and arrow set is very accurate, making it ideal for target practice. And if your child is a fan of the Green Arrow, Hawkeye or any of the other fictional heroic archers, the Zing toy bow and arrows will allow him tons of pretend play fun.
This set is great for both boys and girls and its safe design makes it an excellent bow and arrow for first time users.
The Zing Curved Bow is a fun way for your child to engage in safe bow and arrow play with friends and family.
Why We Recommend The Zing Air Hunterz Z-Curved Bow
- Kids think it’s a lot of fun!
- The bow will only shoot specially designed arrows
- The Zonic arrows have soft foam tips to prevent injury
- Helps develop your child’s motor skills
- Its accuracy makes it ideal for target practice
- Kids love the whistling sound the Zonic arrows make
- Additional or replacement arrows can be purchased separately
- Great way to build your child’s hand-eye coordination and dexterity
- Durable and built to last
Sphero Star Wars BB 8 Droid
If your boy is a Star Wars fan or is fascinated by robots, he’ll be thrilled with the Sphero Star Wars BB 8 Droid!
Designed after the real BB 8 droid from the Star Wars: The Force Awakens movie, this droid is every bit as lovable and really seems to have a personality of his own.
Although he doesn’t talk, he does makes cute little noises in response to your child’s voice and he also adapts his actions to his environment.
With a top speed of 4.5 mph, BB 8 is guided by your child’s device and has a range of up to 100 ft. He rolls best on smooth surfaces such as hardwood floors and may have trouble navigating on carpet and rough terrain.
One of the awesome modes BB 8 has is Patrol Mode where he goes out on patrol and sends back real time data to your child’s device.
BB 8 can also make holographic messages and videos and because his head is magnetic, no matter what your child does, BB 8’s head stays attached to his body. How cool is that!
Out of the box, you’ll get the BB 8 droid, micro USB cable, instructions and a charging stand that doubles as a stand when he’s not in use.
He’s programmable from a smart phone or tablet and the app for this little guy is compatible with both iOS and Android devices.
BB-8 is easy to use and so amusing he’ll seem more like a companion than a toy.
Highly entertaining and fun, the Star Wars BB 8 Droid is a fun way to introduce your child to the world of robotics.
Why We Recommend The Sphero Star Wars BB 8 Droid
- Kids love how much fun BB 8 is!
- He’s easy to control and has lots of great features
- BB 8 responds to your child’s voice and adapts to his environment so he’s fun to play with
- Fun for the whole family; even pets are amused by this lovable little droid!
- Well made and built to last
- Small and lightweight so your child can easily take BB 8 wherever he goes
- The app is compatible with both iOS and Android devices
- BB-8 is a great way to introduce your child to robotics through a familiar character from a Star Wars movie
Razor Ripstik Classic Caster Board
The Razor Ripstik Classic Caster Board is an awesome ride that combines the motions of a snowboard and surfboard into one cool skateboard!
The Ripstik Classic has a couple of stand-out features: First, its pivoting deck and 360 degree casters allow your child to carve and shred like he’s surfing or snowboarding.
Second, to accelerate and turn, all your boy has to do is twist his body and shift his weight, keeping both feet on the deck at all times. No more continually pushing off with one foot to keep up his speed. How cool is that!
Other great features of the Razor Ripstik Classic include spiked traction pads and kicktail nose and tail which allow for easier maneuvering, higher jumps and better tricks.
The slip-resistant concave deck makes for better foot control and the large polyurethane wheels and high quality bearings ensure a smooth ride on any type of terrain.
The Ripstik Classic comes with a 90 day guarantee, measures 34″ X 9″ X 4.5″ and weighs about 8 lbs so it’s easy for kids to pick up and carry.
The Ripstik Classic comes in a variety of colors which make it ideal for both boys and girls. And a top user weight of 220 pounds means that even adults can join in the fun!
Why We Recommend The Razor Ripstik Classic Caster Board
- Kids think it’s a blast to ride!
- The unique design allows kids to experience the thrilling motion of snowboarding and surfing on dry land
- Helps improve your child’s balance and core strength
- Great exercise
- Wonderful board for performing tricks which will help your child build his self confidence
- Very well made and built to last
- Will grow with your eight year old boy and is a skateboard he can use for many years
- Helps improve your child’s coordination and muscle strength
- It’s challenging and fun!
LEGO Minecraft The Dungeon 21119
With LEGO Minecraft The Dungeon 21119, your boy will embark on a dangerous journey to find precious ores!
The awesome LEGO set has a total of 219 pieces including 3 mini figures: Steve with his trusty pickaxe and 2 identical zombie twins.
Steve is on a risky mission to grab the valuable ores that are scattered throughout the dungeon and has to use his pickaxe to defeat the zombies along the way. Fortunately there are brick-built torches to help light Steve’s way.
In the center of the dungeon is the zombie spawner and there are extra pieces included so your child can make some baby zombies to put into the spawner.
Not only is there a zombie spawner, there’s also a secret opening in one wall where zombies can launch a surprise attack on Steve!
Other fun accessories in this kit include brown bricks for sand, green bricks for moss, gold ore, lava, a cactus, a treasure chest that contains some food in case Steve gets hungry fighting zombies and more.
The LEGO 21119 also comes with a full set of instructions including other ways your child can build the dungeon to customize it to suit him. When fully built, the dungeon measures 3″ high X 7″ wide X 6″ deep.
This LEGO building kit is ideal for both boys and girls. And it can be combined with other LEGO Minecraft building kits to create an entire imaginative Minecraft world.
Why we Recommend LEGO Minecraft The Dungeon 21119
- Kids think it’s lots of fun to build and great to play with after it’s built!
- Offers plenty of opportunity for imaginative and pretend play
- Helps develop your child’s hand-eye coordination, dexterity and motor skills
- Your child can customize the dungeon to his liking, making it more fun to build and play with
- Improves your child’s problem solving skills
- Inspires your child to build and learn
- Can be combined with other LEGO Minecraft building kits for even more Minecraft world fun!
Thames And Kosmos Remote Control Machines Kit
If your child is curious about how things work and loves to build, he’ll be thrilled with the Thames and Kosmos Remote Control Machines kit!
This awesome building kit comes with 182 snap together pieces. Also included are 3 motors, a variety of different wheels and a 6 button infrared remote controller your child will use to run the cool machines he builds.
With this kit, your child can build things like bulldozers, cranes, cars and lots more. A detailed instruction book comes with the kit and shows him how to build 10 different vehicles and machines.
But the fun doesn’t stop there! He can also use his imagination to design and build machines of his own.
This Thames and Kosmos kit would make a wonderful gift for any child who loves to learn about how things are built and how they work.
And instead of taking apart his already assembled toys to discover how they work, your child can build a toy from start to finish, learning all about how to build it and how it works as he goes along.
Why We Recommend The Thames And Kosmos Remote Control Machines Kit
- Kids think it’s tons of fun to build their own remote control machines and vehicles!
- Encourages your child’s creativity and imagination
- Kids love to play with their creations once they’re built
- Helps improve your child’s ability to read and follow directions
- Great way to develop your child’s motor and problem solving skills
- All the creations hold up well when they’re played with
- Helps your child improve his hand-eye coordination and dexterity
Nerf Zombie Strike Hammershot Blaster
Your eight year old boy will have tons of pretend play fun fighting zombies with the Nerf Zombie Strike Hammershot Blaster!
Unlike many Nerf weapons that take 2 hands to use, kids can pull back the hammer on this blaster using only one hand. It comes with 5 darts and a rotating cylinder which allows the darts to be shot in rapid succession.
Also included with this toy weapon are Zombie Strike stencils and instructions for use.
Zombie movies are everywhere these days and Nerf guns are extremely popular with boys. They’re fun to play with and safe for your child to use.
Nerf target practice and backyard wars with friends or family members are activities that all the boys in our family love and the Zombie Hammershot Blaster is an ideal weapon of choice for indoor and outdoor play.
The Hammershot Blaster would make a great any occasion gift for that special 8 year old on your shopping list.
Why We Recommend The Nerf Zombie Strike Hammershot Blaster
- Kids love playing with it!
- It’s easy to load and shoot
- Kids love that it holds 5 darts at once and is capable of rapid firing
- It’s fairly accurate, especially at close range
- Great for target practice and backyard wars
- Helps develop your child’s motor skills, hand-eye coordination and dexterity
- Darts are bright green so they’re easy to see when your child is playing with them outside
- It’s durable and built to last
Wilson Traditional Soccer Ball
If your boy has his own Wilson Traditional Soccer Ball, he can enjoy a competitive game of soccer or practice his skills no matter where he is!
Wilson sporting equipment is considered to be the some of the best sporting equipment around and their soccer balls are extremely popular the world over.
This durable Wilson soccer ball has a synthetic leather cover and a butyl rubber bladder. It also has the classic black and white soccer ball panel coloring with silver accents.
It’s a great ball whether your child wants to practice his skills at home or play a pick-up game at the park.
A size 4 soccer ball is ideal for children ages 8 – 12 years and this is a sturdy dependable ball that is sure to provide your child with hours of soccer fun.
Why We Recommend The Wilson Traditional Soccer Ball
- Well made with sturdy stitching
- Butyl rubber bladder ensures it doesn’t leak and it holds its shape
- Synthetic leather cover makes it durable
- It has traditional soccer ball graphics
Miposaur is an awesome dinosaur pet robot that’s a ton of fun to play with!
There are 3 different ways your child can interact and play with Miposaur: Hand gestures, the Trackball that comes with Miposaur or with the free BLE enabled app that’s compatible with both iOS and Android devices.
Your 8 year old boy can use any of the 3 ways to make this robotic pet do fun things like spin around, sit, dance, rap, eat, chase after the TrackBall and lots more. You can even play dino in the middle with Miposaur!
This Wowwee Miposaur robotic dinosaur can also make different noises and has a light on top that tells you what mood it’s in: Orange means it’s excited, blue is curious and red is annoyed.
And you can do things to put it in a mood such as pull its tail to make it annoyed.
Not only does the light on top turn red when it’s annoyed, but Miposaur also makes some pretty angry sounds to let you know it’s not happy.
The unique GestureSense technology enables this little robot to respond to your child’s movements. There are 10 different commands that it responds to including clapping, pushing and swiping.
But beware: How this little robot responds at any given time may depend on what mood it’s in and just like a real pet, Miposaur may not always respond the way your child wants it to, but that’s all part of the fun!
This pet robot works best on hard surfaces such as tables, sidewalks, wood and tile floors.The dinosaur itself needs 4 X AA batteries and the TrackBall requires 4 X AAA batteries. All the batteries must be purchased separately.
Not only is Miposaur a fun little robotic pet for your child, it’s something the whole family can enjoy!
Why We Recommend Miposaur
- This robotic dinosaur is tons of fun to interact with
- There are lots of things your child can get Miposaur to do
- It can be interacted with in 3 different ways
- Provides your child with hours of fun imaginative play
- Can inspire your child to take an interest in robotics
- The app is free and compatible with both iOS and Android devices
- Durable and built to last
- Fun for the whole family!