Check Table of Contents
- Here Are Our Top Three Toys for 2 Year Olds
- Top Toys for 2 year Old Boys
- Which Toys Do Two Year Old Boys like?
- Best Toys for 2 Year Old Girls
- Toys that Provide Fun and Endless Learning Opportunities
- Gender Neutral Toys for 2 year Olds
- Melissa And Doug Stacking Train
- Moving and Walking Toys for 2 Year Olds
- Frequently Asked Questions
Are you looking for the best toys for 2 year olds? We’ve got you covered!
Here is our top list of highly rated toys for 2 year old girls and boys.
We’ve added a selection of gender neutral toys towards the end of the article too.
Top Toys for 2 year Old Boys
We’re confident that these are the top toys for a 2 year old boy, and there’s sure to be at least one that your little boy will love.
A Word from a Psychologist
Written By: Psychologist Natasha Tanic
- Two year old boys love exploring and manipulating objects
- Toddlers master most of their gross motor skills
Which Toys Do Two Year Old Boys like?
Two year old boys are full of energy and always on the go.
They love spending time outside, practicing their coordination, strength, and gross motor skills.
Two year old boys love playing with a variety of toys. To support your child’s fine motor and cognitive skills, provide blocks, puzzles, and LEGO.
Building toys also promote patience, focus, and concentration.
Furthermore, STEM toys encourage problem-solving and critical thinking, while pretend-play toys nurture language and social-emotional skills.
Fisher Price Little People Skyway
Standing over 3 feet tall, this Fisher Price Little People Skyway will give your toddler tons of playtime fun!
Cars have always been popular toys for 2 year old boys and this set is no exception.
Did you know that toy car play can even help with STEM learning
The Skyway has one entrance at the top and that’s where your little speedster will start their car and watch it zoom down one of 3 different ramps!
The flip of a switch changes the path the cute cars take each time and your child can either flip a switch manually or it will be done automatically for a fun surprise finish.
And if your son’s car goes down the middle ramp, he’ll delight in seeing it soar through the air as it jumps off the bottom of the track!
In addition to the thrilling ramps, this colorful Little people Skyway comes with 2 cool cars – Koby and Tessa, a working construction crane, a traffic signal, a gas pump, a parking meter and gates that opens and closes.
So there’s no shortage of things for your little guy to do and see when he’s playing with this awesome Little People playset!
Why We Recommend The Fisher Price Little People Skyway
- Great way to improve your toddler’s dexterity
- Teaches your child about cause and effect as they learn how flipping different switches causes the cars to do different things
- Can use other Little People Wheelies as well as Hot Wheels and other cars on the tracks, making the Skyway very versatile
- Allows your child to engage in imaginative play for hours at a time
- Helps improve your child’s hand-eye coordination
- A great toy to help your child expand their vocabulary and knowledge about cars as you can teach them all about the parts of the cars and track
- Parents love the fact that this toy doesn’t require any batteries but provides hours of entertainment
- The Skyway is easy to assemble
- It’s sturdy and very durable so will last a long time and can be passed down from child to child
LEGO DUPLO 10572 Creative Play All-in-One-Box-of-Fun
This LEGO DUPLO Creative Play All-in-One-Box-of-Fun (10572) will give your little builder hours of fun.
With sixty-five pieces in all, your toddler will get a wagon base, 2 windows, numbered bricks, a dog and a DUPLO boy figure.
Some of the bricks are decorated with images so your child can match the images to the correct numbered bricks. Plus everything can be stored in the convenient brick-shaped storage container.
It’s a really great way to introduce 2 year old boys and girls to the fun of building.
As an open ended toy, these DUPLO bricks really make one of the best toys for 2 year old boys.
This colorful LEGO DUPLO set is makes a wonderful gift for any two year old at any time of the year.
Why We Recommend The LEGO DUPLO Creative Play All-in-One-Box-of-Fun (10572)
- Helps improve your toddler’s hand-eye coordination
- Great for encouraging your child to engage in role playing and imaginative play
- Great starter set for toddlers just being introduced to building sets, as well as a wonderful add-on set for toddlers who already own other LEGO DUPLO sets
- LEGO DUPLO pieces are the perfect size for small hands to hold and they’re easy to manipulate
- You can use the numbered bricks to help your toddler develop their maths skills
- Parents like that the storage box is durable and large enough to hold extra bricks
- This LEGO set can also be used to help your child learn and memorize their colors
- Fun way to develop your toddler’s problem solving skills
VTech Smart Shots Sports Center
Your 2 year old boy will love this Vtech Smart Shots Sports Center!
It combines both a soccer net and basketball hoop and includes a small soccer ball and basketball for each game.
This sports center has an LED scoreboard and introduces different sounds, shapes, numbers, songs and phrases. It does take 3AA batteries in order to work the scoreboard and sound.
VTech educational toys are some of the best learning toys around and this VTech Smart Shots Sports Center gets top rating from consumers.
Suitable for both girls and boys, this VTech toy is a wonderful gift idea for any two year old boy.
Why We Recommend The VTech Smart Shots Sports Center
- It’s a lot of fun!
- Increases your child’s motor skills as they learn to shoot baskets or score soccer goals
- Will keep your child occupied for long periods of time
- It’s lightweight and easy to move around
- Easy to assemble
- The lights, sounds, and noises made by this VTech toy keep your toddler laughing and learning
- Two balls are included and they can be used with the toy or on their own, giving this toy even more versatility
- Scoreboard will help teach your child how to keep count
- Over fifty songs, sounds and phrases for your child to learn as they become more familiar with this sports center
- Teaches your child cause and effect as when they score with either the soccer ball or the basketball, the scoreboard lights up and increases the score
- Introduces your toddler to competitive play
- This is a toy that all the family can be involved in
Best Toys for 2 Year Old Girls
At age 2, your little girl is a bundle of energy and fun and she’s becoming even more curious about what’s going on in the world around her.
She’s more mobile, always on the go, is eager to try new things, and she’s ready for new adventures.
Her imaginary world fascinates her and makes her happy, as does pulling, dragging, pushing, and building things.
She just loves pretend play, and it’s a whole lot more fun for her when you participate or when her siblings or friends do. From hosting her own creative tea parties to cooking up a storm in her play kitchen, your precious little princess loves to mimic what mommy and daddy do.
With all of that in mind, we’ve hand-picked some of the best toys for a 2 year old girls.
A Word from a Psychologist
Written By: Psychologist Natasha Tanic
- Age-appropriate toys benefit kids on many levels
- Two year old girls are always ready for new adventures
Toys that Provide Fun and Endless Learning Opportunities
Two year old girls are curious and full of energy. Your girl is becoming more and more confident in her mobility and the ability to explore the world around her.
Playing with dolls, play kitchens, farm animal toys, and blocks teaches a two year old cooperation, sparks imagination and creativity, and helps her develop language, fine and gross motor, and social-emotional skills.
Your two year old girl is happy while building, creating, pushing, and dragging things around.
She becomes more interested in imaginary play, mimicking what the adults do.
She will cook dinner for you, take care of her baby doll’s diaper, take her teddy bear to the doctor’s appointment, and explore other everyday situations through play.
Fisher Price My First Dollhouse
The adorable Fisher Price My First Dollhouse makes a wonderful first dollhouse for any two year old toddler!
With 3 levels and 5 rooms, your daughter will have plenty of space for all her playtime adventures.
This Fisher Price Dollhouse comes with a family that includes Mom, Dad and Baby.
Other accessories included are a kitchen table, 2 chairs, a toilet with a seat that goes up and down and a one-piece kitchen set that includes a fridge, oven and sink.
The 5 rooms can be set up however your toddler wants so there are plenty of mix and match possibilities.
That being said, the one disappointment that some parents expressed about this cute little Dollhouse is that it’s really hard to get extra furniture and what is available is really expensive.
So if you’re looking for something your little girl can add to as time goes by, this probably isn’t the dollhouse for you.
And that’s precisely why we say it’s a fantastic first dollhouse. But lots of kids got creative when they wanted more to play with and used Little People or Playmobil characters and accessories which fit just fine.
Its compact size means that this Fisher Price Dollhouse won’t take up much storage space.
If you’re wondering what to get your 2 yr old daughter for Christmas or on her birthday, this gorgeous dollhouse could be just what you’re looking for.
Why We Recommend The Fisher Price My First Dollhouse
- Wonderful way to encourage pretend play and role playing in your toddler
- Helps improve your child’s dexterity
- Dolls and furniture are the ideal size for little hands and are easy to play with
- It’s easy to assemble and move from room to room
- Encourages your child to speak more and improve their vocabulary
- This Fisher Price Dollhouse doesn’t use batteries; it runs simply on your little one’s imagination
- Can help teach your child about cooperative play and sharing if they play with it with siblings or friends
- All the figurines bend so they can actually sit on the chairs
- Although additional My First Dollhouse accessories are hard to come by, characters and furniture from other playsets such as Playmobil and Little People fit this dollhouse nicely
- The dollhouse is made from sturdy plastic and built to last so it will grow with your child until they are ready for a larger dollhouse
LEGO DUPLO All-in-One Pink Box of Fun
This LEGO DUPLO All-in-One Pink Box of Fun is an awesome way to introduce your toddler to the joys of building!
There are 65 pieces in all, including a bunny, a hen, numbered blocks, decorated bricks, and a little girl figure.
In addition to being able to build countless things with this LEGO DUPLO kit, the numbers and colors on the blocks will also help your little girl with her counting and matching skills.
As with all LEGO DUPLO, the pieces are just the right size for small hands and are very well made. And the sturdy box is designed to hold extra blocks and makes cleaning up easy and convenient once playtime is over.
This is a terrific starter set to introduce your toddler to LEGO and building toys!
It’s very girly and your daughter will love that even the images on the decorated blocks are girl themed!
Why We Recommend The LEGO DUPLO All-in-One Pink Box of Fun
- Little girls love all the things they can build with this set!
- The bricks fit together nicely, which makes building with these blocks less frustrating for toddlers
- Parents like that the box has extra room so more blocks can be added over time
- Helps your child develop her fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Great for developing your child’s problem solving, counting and matching skills
- Great size for small hands
- Helps improve your little girl’s dexterity
- A wonderful LEGO starter set for encouraging imaginative building and creative play
- Convenient storage container makes clean up easy
JC Toys La Baby African American 16″ Soft Body Play Doll
The JC Toys La Baby African American 16″ Soft Body Play Doll is a 16″ realistic looking baby doll that your little two year old girl will love!
She has a vinyl face, arms, legs, and a soft lightweight body. What’s really nice is that the vinyl has a texture that feels like real skin.
This La Baby Doll is extremely cuddly and comes with a 1 piece outfit with a cute little hat. The outfit is easy to take off and is machine washable and the body is surface washable.
This gorgeous doll comes in your choice of 4 ethnicities: African American, Caucasian, Hispanic, and Asian.
This lovable doll would make any two year old little girl extremely happy.
Why We Recommend The JC Toys La Baby African American 16″ Soft Body Play Doll
- Kids love how realistic looking this sweet little doll is!
- Makes a wonderful nurturing companion for your child
- The doll is easy to dress and undress which will amuse and entertain your little one
- This doll can wear preemie clothes so buying additional outfits is easy
- There are different ethnicities to choose from which makes it appealing to many children
- Will help your toddler develop and improve on their social and relationship skills
- Your child will be able to engage in role playing and imaginative play with this lovely La Baby Doll
- Can provide comfort to your child when they feel lonely or sad
- Very well made and designed to last
Melissa & Doug Mine to Love 12″ Brianna Doll
The Melissa & Doug Mine to Love 12″ Brianna Doll has a super soft body, vinyl hands and feet and a gorgeous face with long silky hair.
Her cute two piece outfit is removable and she can open and close her eyes. Brianna comes with a pacifier which she can suck and she can also suck her thumb. Your 2 year old girl can either sit her up or lie her down.
A wonderful doll to carry around and play with, this Mine To Love doll is soft and cuddly and makes a great gift for your toddler at Christmas or on her birthday.
Why We Recommend The Melissa And Doug Brianna Doll
- Brianna is soft and easy for any 2 year old toddler to carry around
- Her gorgeous long hair can be brushed and arranged in different hairstyles which is lots of fun for your child
- She comes with a pacifier that little kids love placing in Brianna’s mouth. Your daughter will also learn that Brianna can suck her thumb!
- A great doll for role-playing and imaginative play
- This Melissa And Doug Doll helps your child develop and improve their fine and gross motor skills
- Brianna can help your child improve and expand their vocabulary as they’ll love to talk to her
- This Mine To Love doll is extremely durable and made to last
- She’s surface washable
Gender Neutral Toys for 2 year Olds
Some toys just don’t deserve to be labeled as boys only or girls only. Who says that boys should play with just cars and girls with just dolls? Nobody!
Here are gender neutral toys that all children can enjoy.
Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc)
If your toddler loves building forts and other big things then these Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks may be the ideal gift for them!
This jumbo set consists of 3 different sizes of blocks and there are 40 blocks in total. All the large building blocks are made of extra thick cardboard so they’re designed to last.
Even though these Deluxe Blocks are light enough for your child to carry around, they’re incredibly strong.
The largest red blocks can hold up to one hundred and fifty lbs!
Popular in preschools, kids love using these gigantic cardboard building blocks to build huge structures they can actually crawl through and play in such as tunnels and forts.
The possibilities are endless!
The blocks come with step by step instructions for parents to assemble them properly. They’re perfect for younger kids but don’t be surprised if kids and adults of all ages want to play with them!
Why We Recommend The 40 Pc Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks
- Kids absolutely love using these Jumbo Blocks to build huge structures!
- These blocks encourage your child’s creativity
- They’re great for developing your toddler’s problem solving skills
- Helps your child develop their early math skills
- These large building blocks can support a toddler’s weight, making them perfect for building chairs, bridges, forts and even little brick play houses!
- Toddlers can really play in and on the objects they build, which makes these blocks a lot more versatile and fun!
- Develops your child’s sorting, matching and construction skills
- Helps improve your child’s balance, coordination and flexibility
- These jumbo cardboard building blocks help develop your toddler’s gross motor skills
- Surface washable so easy to keep clean
- Very well made and built to last
Melissa And Doug Stacking Train
Most small children love trains, and this Melissa And Doug Stacking Train offers your 2 year old boy double the fun because it’s both a train and a stacking toy!
This neat little toy consists of a 3 flat railway cars with pegs and fifteen brightly colored stacking blocks of various shapes that are designed to fit on the pegs.
The cars are detachable so your toddler can make the train shorter or play with individual railway cars.
The blocks themselves can also be used on their own for stacking, sorting and building so the creative possibilities are endless.
This enjoyable Stacking Train has wheels that actually roll.
Your child will love loading up the blocks and rolling this little wooden train all around the house!
An ideal gift for any occasion, any two year old boy or a girl will get hours of enjoyment from this entertaining stacking toy.
Why We Recommend The Melissa And Doug Stacking Train
- Helps your child with sorting, color and shape recognition
- Can be used to help your toddler with their counting skills
- Helps develop your little one’s hand-eye coordination
- Sturdy and well made so will last a long time and can be passed down from child to child
- Wonderful way to develop your child’s fine motor skills
- Because the blocks can be placed on different pegs, this helps your child’s development of early building and problem solving skills
- The colorful multi-shaped blocks can be used on their own for stacking, sorting and building all kinds of things
Little Tikes Rocking Horse (Magenta)
Your 2 year old toddler will have a blast rockin’ out on the Little Tikes Rocking Horse!
This toy rocking horse is ideal for play inside and outside which means she can play on it almost anywhere.
Designed with safety in mind, the rounded edges ensure she won’t get hurt and the seat will keep her upright no matter how hard she rocks.
Its compact size means it won’t take up much space indoors and makes it easy to throw in your vehicle and take with you wherever you go.
The horse also has easy to grip handles and will accommodate children up to 50 pounds.
The wide rocker bottom makes this rocking horse very stable and it’s available in blue and magenta, making it ideal for both girls and boys.
Made in the USA, this cute little rocking horse stands 19″ high and is the perfect gift idea for your two year old daughter.
Why We Recommend The Little Tikes Rocking Horse
- Toddlers love riding it!
- It’s low enough to the ground that most kids that are walking fairly well can get on and off this toy rocking horse by themselves
- The wide base makes this horse very stable
- A great toy for imaginative, pretend play
- It will keep your toddler totally engaged
- Your daughter will love the rocking motion and she’ll love having her very own little horse
- An excellent toy for helping your toddler improve their coordination and balance
- Helps your child develop and improve their fine and gross motor skills
- Won’t take up much room indoors
- Easy to clean
- Durable and built to last so can be passed down from child to child
Little Tikes EasyScore Basketball Set
This awesome Little Tikes EasyScore Basketball Set is a great way for your toddler to have fun and get some exercise!
There are two versions available – one version comes with 1 basketball and the other one comes with 3 basketballs.
In addition to the basketball, the EasyScore also comes with a net and backboard stand that adjusts from 2 to 4 feet.
There are 6 adjustable heights settings so this basketball set will grow with your child and last for at least 2 or 3 years.
The net rim is over-sized to make scoring those points easier and the base can be filled with sand to make the whole system more stable.
It’s also small enough to use indoors so your toddler can play hoops in the basement or playroom.
Like all Little Tikes products, this set is incredibly durable and once your child outgrows it, you’ll be able to hand it down to younger siblings or even sell it and get some of your money back.
Why We Like The Little Tikes EasyScore Basketball Set
- Helps improve your child’s hand-eye coordination
- Grows with your child – easy to adjust the height
- Great way for your child to get some exercise
- Develops your toddler’s motor skills
- Over-sized rim makes scoring baskets easy
- Durable and built to last
- Perfect size for toddlers
- Can be used inside or outside
- Very stable when base is filled with sand
Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube
The Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube is a wonderful way to introduce your 2 year old girl to the world of classical music!
This Magic Cube offers her a choice of 5 instrument sounds: harp, French horn, piano, flute, and violins.
She can add in or take out any of those instruments sounds with the push of a button and there’s one button that will let her hear all the instruments playing at once.
There are a total of 8 Mozart masterpieces for your little girl to listen to and enjoy.
The buttons on every side are easy for your toddler to push and she’ll be fascinated when some of the sides flash and light up in time to the tempo of the music.
The soft round corners make this Magic Cube safe for your little girl whether she’s holding it, rolling it or carrying it around.
The adjustable volume control is something parents will enjoy.
Ideal for encouraging interactive and artistic play, don’t be surprised if older kids and adults also like playing with this fun Munchkin toy!
3 AA batteries are required and are included.
Why We Recommend The Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube
- The Munchkin Mozart Magic Cube can help improve your child’s auditory skills
- Helps develop your child’s sense of rhythm and tempo
- It has a volume adjustment control with two volume settings
- Great interactive toy as your child can roll, flip or push the ball around
- Rounded corners make this toy safe for young kids to hold and play with
- Kids love watching some of the sides light up and flash in time to the tempo of the music
- Helps develop your child’s appreciation of music at an early age
- Easy to keep clean
How Many of Mozart’s Works do You Know?
Eno.org has listed 7 of his most famous works.
Moving and Walking Toys for 2 Year Olds
Radio Flyer Classic Walker Wagon
The award-winning Radio Flyer Classic Walker Wagon is a fun and safe toy that your toddler will love pushing all around the house!
The ‘resist push’ feature ensures that kids who are a bit more unsteady on their feet won’t go too fast.
The plastic wheels click when they turn, are non-skid, and don’t swivel, which makes this push wagon easier for your toddler to keep on course.
Everything about this Radio Flyer push wagon is built to last.
Right from the solid wood body to the sturdy chrome handlebar that’s just the right size for your daughter to hold on to.
It even has a molded plastic front bumper designed to protect your furniture from minor mishaps.
Measuring 22″ long X 15″ wide X 12″ high, your child will enjoy hauling around toys, stuffed animals or other goodies in the wagon bed.
Why We Recommend The Radio Flyer Classic Walker Wagon
- Kids love that they can either push it or be pushed around in it
- The wheels are non-skid and they don’t swivel, making this wagon safe and easy to keep on course
- The wooden side slats are removable, giving your child even more room in the wagon bed
- Sturdy and well built so it can be passed down from child to child
- Kids love the clicking sound the wheels make when they turn
- Not too difficult to assemble
- Can be used on all types of floor surfaces inside
Did you know that…
Radio Flyer Company was founded in 1917?
There are a lot of ways how toddlers can play with a wagon?
Hape Walk-A-Long Puppy Wooden Pull Toy
Your 2 year old toddler will have a blast pulling this sweet and colorful Hape Walk-A-Long Puppy Wooden Pull Toy everywhere they go!
Ideal for indoors and outdoors, this adorable little pull toy wags his tail and moves his head as he’s pulled along.
And his unique design allows her to put him in some fun positions.
Not only do the rubber rimmed wheels make this dog easy to pull along, they also ensure he won’t scratch your floors or make too much noise when your toddler plays with him in the house.
The cute little spotted dog is made from sustainable wood and painted with water-based paint, making him as safe as he is adorable.
This dog pull toy is loved by both girls and boys.
Why We Love The Hape Walk-A-Long Puppy Wooden Pull Toy
- Kids think the moving head and wagging tail are great fun!
- This wooden puppy is simple and fun, a throwback to the types of wooden toys that many parents and grandparents played with when they were kids
- A wonderful toy that will spark your little one’s imagination
- Encourages exercise as kids love taking their pretend dog for a walk outside around the neighborhood
- The toy has excellent craftsmanship as we’ve come to expect from HAPE
- It is durable and built to last so he can be passed down from child to child
Read more about pull along toys in lovevery.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
We will be adding frequently asked questions about toys for 2 year olds shortly.