Toddlers love to explore, crawl, and climb! And what better way to encourage their adventurous ways than to provide them with some of the best toddler climbing toys for indoor and outdoor use?
Climbing toys will help your toddler expand their imaginative and creative play, encourage them to role play, help strengthen their leg muscles, and improve their gross motor skills.
Most importantly, climbing toys are fun for toddlers and they can keep them actively engaged for hours.
With that in mind, our team has carried out extensive research and, following our strict selection criteria, we’ve picked some of the best climbing toys for a young toddler to enjoy!
- 11 Best Climbing Toys For Toddlers 2018
- Monkey Bars Climbing Tower
- ECR4Kids SoftZone Climb and Crawl Foam Play Set (5-Piece)
- Foamnasium Gymnasium
- Constructive Playthings 5 Piece Lightweight Vinyl Soft Play Forms
- Step2 All-Star Sports Climber
- Step2 Naturally Playful Lookout Treehouse
- Step2 Play and Fold Jr. Kids Slide
- Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber Play Center
- Easy Outdoor Space Dome Climber
- ECR4Kids Gus Climb-N-Crawl Caterpillar
- Step2 Clubhouse Climber
- Related Posts
11 Best Climbing Toys For Toddlers 2018
Monkey Bars Climbing Tower
This Monkey Bars Climbing Tower is perfect for toddlers and pre-schoolers.
It consists of interlocking plastic tubes, connectors and self-locking springs.
These monkey bars are lightweight, weighing only about 27 pounds when completely assembled, making it easy to move from indoors to outdoors or when mowing the lawn.
They also have UV protection so they should last a long time even when out in the sun for months at a time.
They do take a bit of time to assemble, although assembly is not too difficult, and once assembled, they hold a total of 150 pounds.
This climbing tower is recommended for toddlers age 3 to 6, although parents find that children as young as 2 and as old as 10 enjoy playing on this tower as well.
A few parents recommend placing something soft under and around these monkey bars in case a smaller child falls.
One parent shared that they placed a ball pit under the climbing tower so their toddler could drop into the balls for added fun!
Other parents found that placing a sheet or tarp over these monkey bars allowed them to turn this tower into a fort for their child.
This Monkey Bars Climbing Tower is a great toy for toddlers to gain climbing skills and enjoy a bit of exercise while spending time indoors or out.
Why We Recommend The Monkey Bars Climbing Tower
- Toddlers love climbing on this tower, whether it is indoors or out and have great fun!
- Climbing is a great way for your child to improve their gross motor skills
- Tower is sturdy and is sure to last for years of active play
- Fairly easy to assemble which parents like
- Two or three children can play together, teaching your child to play cooperatively while gaining socialization skills
- With a little imagination, these monkey bars can be used in a number of fun ways besides just for climbing
- If you set it up outside, then it’ll encourage your child to play outdoors getting fresh air and exercise
- Great climbing toy for imaginative play for toddlers as they create their own adventures
ECR4Kids SoftZone Climb and Crawl Foam Play Set (5-Piece)
This ECR4Kids Soft Zone Climb and Crawl Foam Play Set for toddlers and pre-schoolers is a 5 piece foam set that can be arranged in a number of ways to entertain older infants and toddlers.
Each piece of this play set is a dense foam structure with a non-slip bottom, and soft easy to clean colorful covers.
These foam climber pieces are non-toxic and safe for your toddler to play with.
In total, this climbing foam play set weighs about 9 pounds and consists of a square, rectangle, wedge, half moon and cylinder.
It’s recommended for toddlers age 9 months to 3 years.
Several parents use velcro to attach the different pieces of the play set together so that the pieces do not separate while your child is climbing on them.
This climbing toy play set makes a great indoor activity for toddlers, allowing them to get exercise in bad weather and allowing them to burn off steam for a better night’s sleep.
The Climb and Crawl Foam Play Set for toddlers provides you older infant and toddler with a safe outlet for their interest in climbing while providing them with hours of fun.
Why We Recommend The ECR4Kids Soft Zone Climb and Crawl Foam Play Set
- Children find these foam pieces fun to climb on, slide on, and sit on while watching television!
- Since these foam pieces can be arranged in a number of different ways, they are extremely versatile
- Safe to use as they are non-toxic
- Helps your toddler develop gross motor skills through play
- Made from good quality materials and is extremely sturdy
- Easy to clean, can wipe off with just a damp cloth
- Encourages your child to engage in pretend play as they create their own stories and adventures
- Colorful and eye-catching and will keep your toddler playing for hours of active fun
The Foamnasium Gymnasium consists of 4 sturdy foam pieces including 2 wedges, a set of steps and a large red and yellow rectangle.
These large foam pieces encourage your toddler to engage in construction and climbing.
It is made up of durable and easy to clean vinyl colors.
The foam is firm enough to sit or stand on, and each piece has a rubberized bottom to prevent slipping.
Each piece has handles to make moving the pieces easier. You can also add additional Foamnasium pieces to this set to make it larger and more fun for your toddler.
Although the Foamnasium Gymnasium is recommended for children ages 3 and 4, several parents shared they have purchased this gymnasium for children as young as 18 months and it worked well.
You can stand the two wedge pieces on end and place a large towel over the tops to make a crawl through tunnel.
Since each piece is lightweight, older toddlers can move them around into different positions to sit on, lie on, or to make different configurations to climb on.
Some parents suggest getting wide velcro strips to hold the pieces together to prevent them from slipping when children are crawling over them and thus preventing falls.
The Foamnasium Gymnasium is sure to be one toy that your child won’t be able to resist, as it offers a lot of climbing fun!
Why We Recommend The Foamnasium Gymnasium
- Toddlers really like the Foamnasim Gymnasium because they are like huge building blocks they climb on!
- Blocks can be cleaned simply by wiping them down with a damp cloth or baby wipe
- Gymnasium helps your child develop their gross motor, climbing and crawling skills
- Each piece of this gymnasium is easy for most toddlers to move on their own
- Pieces are sturdy and sure to hold up for years of rough and tumble play
- Safe for toddlers to climb, and close enough to floor that tumbles wont cause serious injury
- Enough pieces for your toddler to play with a toddler friend or sibling for cooperative and shared play
- Encourages your toddler to engage in pretend and imaginative play
Constructive Playthings 5 Piece Lightweight Vinyl Soft Play Forms
This Constructive Playthings Vinyl Soft Play Foams comes in a 5 piece set consisting of a ramp, a rectangle, a square, a cylinder and a half cylinder.
Made with bright primary colors, these foams are extremely lightweight so that toddlers can move them around on their own to construct different variations to climb, sit and stand on.
The square measures 16” X 8,” the rectangle measures 16” X 8” X 8,” the ramp measures 24” X 16” 8” at the top the cylinder measures 16” X 8” with a 25” circumference while the half cylinder measures 16” X 16” X 8”.
Recommended for toddlers age 1 year and up, these foams will help them start to develop some basic building skills as well as gross motor skills, through crawling and climbing.
These foams can be used alone or combined with other toys to build forts or make an obstacle course to climb on, crawl over, or even just to sit on while watching television.
These soft play foams for toddlers are a fun way to give your toddler a safe outlet for their desire to climb and to explore.
Why We Recommend The Constructive Playthings 5 Piece Vinyl Soft Play Foams
- Fantastic fun for toddlers to use and play with for hours on end!
- Foams are lightweight making them easy for toddlers to move
- Easy to clean, just use a damp cloth to wipe these vinyl foams clean
- Designed to be sturdy and to hold up to the rough and tumble play of children
- Will help your toddler improve their gross motor skills through climbing and crawling
- Encourages your child to engage in all types of imaginative and creative play
- Extremely versatile and able to be formed into different crawling and climbing formats
- As your toddler gets older, they can use these foam for building forts, tunnels and so much more!
- Wonderful toy that aids your child’s physical and mental development
- With so many foam pieces, your toddler can play with other kids, helping them engage in cooperative play
Step2 All-Star Sports Climber
It can sometimes be difficult to keep a toddler or pre-schooler entertained during bad weather or those long summer days.
However, the Step 2 All-Star Sports Climber can offer your child enough different activities to keep even the most active toddler busy and happy for long periods of time.
This cool climber includes a climber/ladder, a slide, a basketball hoop, football toss hole, and soccer kick hole.
There is also a score keeper in case two children want to shoot hoops or kick soccer goals while playing together.
This climber toy also comes with an inflatable basketball, a football, and a soccer ball and is made of durable and colorful material.
The ladder on this sports climber is a bit like a rock wall rather than the type of ladder traditionally found with slides, making it more challenging for toddlers and more fun as well.
The entire sports climber measures 30” X 63” X 43”.
The great thing about this All-Sports Climber is that, while there are a lot of different activities built into this toy, already your child will think up even more fun things to do while using it, such as climbing up the slide or crawling through the soccer goal and hiding under the climber.
It is amazing what your child can do with this piece of playground equipment.
This Step 2 All-Star Sports Climber is a great piece of playground equipment for any toddler who enjoys exploring and being active.
Why We Recommend The Step 2 All-Star Sports Climber Toy
- Offers a lot of super fun activities for your toddler which they will love!
- Extremely versatile, allowing your toddler to learn varuous activities and sports
- Sturdy and sure to last for years of active play
- Most parents find this climber quite easy to assemble
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- Climbing, kicking and shooting baskets will help your toddler improve their gross motor skills
- Helps your child expand their imagination through play as they come up with all sorts of new games!
- As several toddlers can play with the climber, it helps your child learn about shared and cooperative play
- Encourages your child to be adventurous and engage in pretend play
Step2 Naturally Playful Lookout Treehouse
If you have a toddler that loves to engage in imaginary adventures, then this Step 2 Naturally Playful Lookout Treehouse will make the perfect back drop for all types of adventures.
This treehouse has a shingle roof for shade, a 19 inch platform with a periscope that can be rotated 180 degrees, a ladder and a slide.
The platform is high enough off the ground that toddlers can crawl under and pretend that it is a tunnel.
This Treehouse measures 66.5” X 25” X 57.5”.
While it is recommend for children 1½ years old to 5 years, it may be suitable for slightly younger and slightly older children.
One of the things that makes this playhouse so much fun is that it can be any thing your child wants it to be.
Your toddler can pretend to be a mountain climber and climb up the ladder or the slide itself.
They can also pretend to be a pirate sailing the seven seas or dream up any number of other adventures.
The Step 2 Naturally Playful Lookout Treehouse is ideal for toddlers who enjoy exploring and playing pretend.
Why We Recommend The Step 2 Naturally Playful Lookout Playhouse
- Playhouse will provide your toddler with plenty of fun and keep them amused for long periods of time
- Climbing the ladder and crawling under this treehouse will help your child develop their gross motor skills
- Sturdy and sure to last for years of fun play for your toddler
- Although this Treehouse takes up quite a bit of space, it can be used indoors or outdoors
- Parents find this Treehouse to be easy to assemble although it does take a little bit of time
- Easy to clean by simply washing it down with soapy water and then rinsing
- Perfect for you child to engage in their imagination and live a variety of adventures in their own backyard
- Brilliant climbing toy for engaging your toddler in pretend play and role playing
Step2 Play and Fold Jr. Kids Slide
If you have a toddler but only a little bit of outdoor space for playground equipment, or want something that will travel so your child will be entertained when camping or at grandmother’s house, then this Step2 Play and Fold Jr. Kids Slide may be just what you are looking for.
Made in the USA, this durable plastic slide folds up easily for storage and travel.
It features large steps and handrails so your toddler can feel safe and secure when climbing the ladder.
It also has a wide slide so your child won’t feel as though they are going to fall over the side when sliding down.
Recommended for children ages 1½ to 4 years old, this slide can be used indoors or outdoors.
Some parents set this slide up so their toddler can use it to slide into a kiddie pool or a ball pit and like that it can be used indoors or out.
The slide holds a maximum weight of 43 pounds.
This slide is also extremely easy to move when cleaning house or mowing your yard.
This Step 2 Play and Fold Jr. Kids slide is great for families with limited space or who want to take this slide along when traveling.
Why We Recommend The Step2 Play and Fold Jr. Kids Slide
- Small toddlers will find this slide great fun and enjoy playing on it
- Great size for smaller toddlers, allowing them to climb the ladder and slide down by themselves
- Perfect for inside and outside use, allowing your toddler to burn off some energy even during bad weather
- Slide is sturdy and should last long after your toddler outgrows it
- Folds up easily, making it easy to store or transport
- Parents like that this slide is extremely easy to assemble
- Handrail is a nice feature for young toddlers as it gives them confidence when climbing
- Great toy for toddlers who love climbing and sliding as they get the best of both worlds!
Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber Play Center
This Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber Play Center is constructed of heavy duty materials and has a rust resistant powder coating over the steel.
Made for use by several toddlers at once, this dome climber has a maximum weight capacity of 600 pounds.
This climber is 5 feet high and 10 feet in diameter.
While this Geometric Dome Climber is great for children who like to climb, with a little imagination it can also become a versatile piece of play equipment.
You can cover the dome with a couple of large tarps to make it into a tent, fort, or clubhouse, or hang a disc swing or knotted rope from the center of this climber to add an additional fun aspect to it!
This climber does take quite a bit of time to build and you need to follow directions closely to avoid mistakes.
But most parents find that the effort is worth it when they see how long and how often their toddlers play on this play center.
This Geometric Dome Climber is recommended for children ages 3 through to 10, and lots of parents have readily admitted that they too have had heaps of fun on it!
This Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber will provide years of fun as your child grows from a toddler to an early tween.
Why We Recommend The Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber Play Center
- Large climber provides your toddler with hours of fun climbing!
- Encourages your child to want to spend time playing out of doors
- Incredibly sturdy and sure to hold up for years of use
- Several children can use this climber at the same time, encouraging cooperative play
- Climbing the dome with friends or siblings, your toddler will improve their socialization skills
- Climber helps your child to build their gross motor skills and strengthen their upper body muscles
- As your child grows and builds their climbing skills, this climber will allow them to climb higher and faster
- Encourages your child to engage in creative and imaginative play as they make up all kinds of adventures
- Can easily be turned into a tent, clubhouse or fort by throwing a tarp over it
- Weather and rust resistant which makes it a fantastic outdoor toy
Easy Outdoor Space Dome Climber
This Easy Outdoor Space Dome Climber is steel constructed and rust and UV resistant and totally suitable for adventurous toddlers!
It comes in blue, yellow and red and has a weight capacity of 1000 pounds.
This Dome climber measures 90” X 46” X 91” and is recommended for children ages 3 through 9.
It will provide years of fun for toddlers and young school age children.
While this climber provides hours of climbing fun, you can also place a tarp or sheet or two over the dome and make a fort or clubhouse for even more fun!
The climber will stay put, even in high winds, due to the fact that the dome provides more stability.
This Dome Climber is easy for younger children to use while still being fun for older children as well.
In addition, with a little imagination, it can actually be a versatile toy that children can enjoy.
It’s a great toy to get your child outdoors and away from those computer games, while encouraging them to get some healthy exercise.
Parents love that it’s made from high quality steel and is rust and UV resistant.
This Easy Outdoor Space Dome Climber is a fun outdoor toy that is sure to keep your child active and having fun for long periods of time.
Why We Recommend The Easy Outdoor Space Dome Climber
- Climber will provide hours of fun for any toddler who enjoys climbing
- Great climbing toy for encouraging your child to engage in imaginative play
- Cover with a sheet or tarp and your toddler has the cute fort or clubhouse!
- Climbing the dome will help build your toddler’s leg muscles and improve their gross motor skills
- Most parents find this climber simple to assemble
- Sturdy and durable enough to provide your child with years of use
- Easy to move, allowing you to mow under it or move it to another location in the yard
- Suitable for a nice age range, making it a great outdoor toy for families with more than one child
- Will hold several children at once, making it perfect for playing with friends and siblings
- Parents like that it’s rust and UV resistant
ECR4Kids Gus Climb-N-Crawl Caterpillar
The ECR4Kids Gus Climb-N-Crawl Caterpillar is a great toy for your toddler to enjoy indoors or out.
This caterpillar comes in 4 sections that can be configured in different ways.
It is also weather and fade resistant, and when fully assembled measures 39.5” X 85.5” X 42.5” with rounded edges for safety.
Once assembled, it is quite sturdy and allows toddlers and younger school age children to crawl through the tunnel, sit on the caterpillar, climb on it using the side holes, and even stand on the caterpillar.
Gus is recommended for children ages 3 through 8, but once your child starts crawling, they can explore the inside of the caterpillar.
Children love this caterpillar, especially the tunnel through it which allows them to crawl or sit inside, and they can look through the various holes in the caterpillar’s sides.
Some children like to that a blanket and book into the tunnel and have a quiet place to read or to just look at their books.
When used indoors, your toddler can watch television while sitting on the caterpillar, or can lay inside the mouth for television watching or just taking a short nap.
This Climb-N-Crawl Caterpillar is a great piece of play equipment for toddlers and young school age children that they will be able to enjoy for at least a couple of years.
Why We Recommend EC4Kids Gus The Climb-N-Crawl Caterpillar
- Provides your toddler with hours of fun play, climbing, crawling, sitting or standing on caterpillar!
- Fantastic colorful climbing toy for encouraging your toddler to engage in creative play
- Your child will have wonderful fun making up their own adventures with Gus the caterpillar!
- Perfect for your toddler to sit in or sit on while watching their favorite tv show
- Ideal for your toddler to take a nap in when they climbed and crawled Gus for hours!
- Gus is quite sturdy and can hold up to the rough play of toddlers
- Comes in 4 sections but is easy to assemble
- Made of hard plastic so Gus is extremely easy to clean with a damp cloth
- Caterpillar can be easily moved to clean or mow around it
- Gus can be used either indoors or outdoors
- Smaller children find the bright colors of this caterpillar extremely appealing
- Weather and fade resistant offering value for money
Step2 Clubhouse Climber
If you are looking for a great piece of playground equipment that will keep your toddler and young school age child happily occupied, then this Step 2 Clubhouse Climber may be just what you are looking for.
This climber consists of a small clubhouse connected to a tower by a fun and sturdy bridge.
Both the clubhouse and the tower have round windows, and there is skylight on in the roof of the clubhouse.
The Clubhouse also has a steering wheel so your toddler can engage in imaginative play.
There are two slides attached to this climber, as well as climbing steps.
There is a crawl through tunnel under the tower and a hiding space under the clubhouse.
This Step2 Clubhouse will bear a maximum weight of 240 pounds, allowing several children to play on it at the same time.
It is recommended for children ages 2 through 6.
Assembly for this climber is a bit time consuming, but most people shared that the time is well spent when they see how well their children love playing with it.
This Clubhouse Climber is a great background for your child to engage in pretend play and create their very own adventures and stories.
This Step 2 Clubhouse Climber is a great addition to your backyard play area allowing your child to engage in a number of fun activities, which will help them burn off all excess energy.
Why We Recommend The Step2 Clubhouse Climber
- Toddlers have great fun climbing the steps of the clubhouse and sliding down the slide!
- Has enough activities to keep your child happily playing for long periods of time
- Really encourages your child to use their imagination when playing
- Clubhouse, bridge and tower is close enough to the ground not to pose a safety risk for toddlers
- Crawling and climbing helps your child develop their gross motor skills and leg muscles
- Sturdy and sure to hold up to years of fun play for your child
- Encourges your toddler to play outdoors if set up in garden or backyard
- Your toddler can play on it with their friends and siblings, teaching them about shared play
- Has grip rail handles to encourage your toddler to climb the steps
- Your toddler can hide underneath which will fascinate them!
- Parents just love the quality and shared that it’s excellent