If your child would love to have a swing in the yard but you don’t have a lot of room, our list of the best swing sets for small yards and helpful buying guide will give you lots of great options and information.
Whether we were soaring through the air being pushed by someone, or pumping our legs as hard as we could so we could go higher and higher, swinging is something that many of us loved doing as a child!
Any one of these swing sets will give your child hours of outdoor fun and excitement. But swinging outdoors is more than just a fun way for kids of all ages to pass the time. It also provides your child with some wonderful developmental benefits.
Physical exercise, increased socialization, less screen time, improved balance and focus, and increased spatial awareness are just some of the many benefits your child will get from swinging.
This calming activity is also a great way to improve your child’s sensory integration, which is how their brain organizes and interprets what’s going on around them.
Aside from all these wonderful developmental benefits, swinging will also give them some awesome childhood memories. Just like the ones we have from all those hours spent flying through the air on a swing when we were kids.
So let’s get kids off their devices, outside in the fresh air, and swinging to their heart’s content!
- 9 Best Swing Sets For Small Backyards
- Step2 Infant to Toddler Swing Seat
- Jungle Gym Kingdom Swing Seat With Heavy Duty Chain
- Super Spinner Swing, 27 Inch
- Eastern Jungle Gym High Back Full Bucket Toddler Swing Seat
- The Swurfer Original Tree Swing With Skateboard Seat
- Jump Power UFO Swing Set
- Wind Rider Glider Swing
- Web Riderz Outdoor Swing N’ Spin
- Little Tikes 2-in-1 Snug ‘n Secure Swing
- How to Choose a Swing Set that will Fit Nicely in Your Small Yard
9 Best Swing Sets For Small Backyards
Step2 Infant to Toddler Swing Seat
Your child will have tons of fun as they soar safely through the air in the awesome Step2 Infant to Toddler Swing Seat!
Comfortable for your child and easy for you to get them into and out of, this seat is ideal for kids 9 months to 3 years old.
The restraint bar holds them securely in place and the seat is designed with a slight dip in the center to prevent your little one from leaning too far forward.
The weather resistant rope is included with the swing and the seat is really easy to clean.
Made in the USA, this Step2 swing seat has a 50 pound weight limit and can be hung from a swing set, a beam or tree branch. It can also be attached to the Step2 Playhouse Climber, Swing Extension, and Adventure Lodge Play Center, all sold separately.
This fun swing seat is worth considering if you’re looking for an outdoor toy that will be lots of fun for both your child and you!
Why We Recommend The Step2 Infant to Toddler Swing Seat
- Kids love swinging in it!
- Restraint bar keeps your child safe and snug while swinging
- Ideal for kids up to 50 lbs
- Helps develop your child’s spatial awareness
- Easy to get your child into and out of
- Seat is easy to clean
- Durable and made to last
- Assembly is quick and easy
- Rope is weather resistant
- Grows with your child
Jungle Gym Kingdom Swing Seat With Heavy Duty Chain
This Jungle Gym Kingdom Swing Seat With Heavy Duty Chain is a great sling style swing seat like you see on commercial swing sets at parks and playgrounds.
Easily conforming to anyone’s body shape, the seat itself is 26 3/4″ long by 5.5″ wide and made of copolymer plastic. And the attached 66 inch chain is coated with a special material that ensures it won’t pinch your child’s fingers.
This swing can be added to any existing swing set as a replacement swing or can be attached to tree limb or a beam. It should be noted that it comes with is carabiners, so depending on how you plan to hang it, you may have to purchase additional hardware (sold separately).
Designed for children ages 3 years and up, this swing seat has a weight capacity of about 250 pounds which makes it suitable for kids and adults.
If you’re looking to add or replace a swing seat or simply want a swing seat to hang from a tree branch or beam, this Jungle Gym Kingdom Swing Seat is a great option!
Why We Recommend The Jungle Gym Kingdom Swing Seat With Heavy Duty Chain
- Swinging is a fun physical exercise for your child
- Very sturdy
- The seat is comfortable
- Conforms to different body shapes
- Heavy duty chain
- Coating on the chain ensures your child’s fingers won’t get pinched
- Gives your child a fun activity that they can do in their own back yard
- Can be added to an existing back yard swing set
- Assembly is quick and easy
- Built to last
Super Spinner Swing, 27 Inch
With this awesome 27 inch Super Spinner Swing, your child will have tons of fun swinging, spinning, or doing both at once!
The seat measures 27″ X 27″ X 4″ and is made from polypropylene. It also has a hole in the center that allows moisture to drain off of it.
This swing has a plastic rope weld comes with a 10 foot hanging kit, is designed for children ages 3 years and up, and comes with a 2 year warranty.
This fun swing operates like a swing and the rope can be twisted to set the swing spinning, with is great fun for kids of all ages. Designed for up to 2 riders, this awesome spinner swing holds a maximum capacity of 200 lbs, so it’s great for adults too.
The Super Spinner Swing is a great small yard swing set that will provide your child with hours of entertainment and exercise on those long summer days.
Why We Recommend The 27 Inch Super Spinner Swing
- Kids think it’s tons of fun!
- It can be made to swing, spin or do both at the same time
- Great way for your child to have some fun and get some exercise
- Helps cut down on your child’s screen time
- Can hold up to 2 people
- Maximum weight capacity is 200 lbs, so can be used by adults too
- Rope length is adjustable so it grows with your child
- Comes fully assembled and ready to hang
- Great for kids of all ages
- It’s well made and built to last
Eastern Jungle Gym High Back Full Bucket Toddler Swing Seat
The Eastern Jungle Gym Heavy-Duty High Back Full Bucket Toddler Swing Seat allows you to swing your infant safely while they have lots of fun!
The seat itself is made of heavy duty polymer plastic. It measures 11.5″ from front to back, and is 10″ wide.
The rust resistant chain is 66″ long and can be adjusted up to a 9 foot swing beam. The bottom 30″ of the chain is coated in plactisol, a soft and flexible material that helps prevent tiny fingers from being pinched.
Recommended for kids 1 to 5 years of age, this full bucket toddler swing seat comes fully assembled. It can be attached to an existing swing, a tree branch or a beam, but it doesn’t come with any hanging hardware so that will have to be purchased separately.
If you’re looking for a safe, long lasting infant/toddler swing seat, this Eastern Jungle Gym High Back Full Bucket Toddler Seat is well worth considering.
Why We Recommend The Eastern Jungle Gym High Back Full Bucket Toddler Swing Seat
- Improves your child’s sensory integration
- Very safe
- Provides good back support for your child
- Heavy duty seat and chain
- 30″ of the chain is coated in plastisol, which ensures your child’s fingers won’t get pinched
- Chain length can be adjusted, so this swing will grow with your child
- Versatile hanging options
- Durable and built to last
- Rust resistant
The Swurfer Original Tree Swing With Skateboard Seat
Your child will have tons of fun as they surf through the air on the one-of-a-kind Swurfer Original Tree Swing With Skateboard Seat!
This awesome swinging surfboard has a seat that’s designed like a skateboard, and kids love it because it feels like they’re surfing on air instead of in the water.
The curved shape of the seat is engineered for maximum power, stability, and range of motion. And the best thing about the Swurfer is that the types of motion are almost endless!
Your child can swing side to side, forward and backward, in an oval, in circles, and lots more. The only limit is their imagination.
Kids can sit and swing on the Swurfer or they can stand and surf through the air while performing cool tricks. It’s an ideal way to improve their balance, build their overall body strength, and boost their confidence.
Made in the USA, the Swurfer comes with a maple wood seat that has a UV and water resistant finish, two 30 ft long extra strong ropes, and two adjustable handles.
The Swurfer comes with everything you need to hang it from a tree, which means you can have it up and your child can be swurfin’ in no time flat.
Because it’s a more advanced type of tree swing, the recommended age is 6+. And with a maximum weight limit of 250 lbs, adults can join in the fun too!
The award winning Swurfer Original Tree Swing is an awesome swing for older kids who have a sense of adventure and are looking for some unique backyard fun.
If your child loves board sports or thinks that a regular swing or spinner swing is a bit too tame, the Swurfer is an excellent alternative for them!
Why We Recommend The Swurfer Original Tree Swing With Skateboard Seat
- Kids think it’s tons of fun!
- Unique, one-of-a-kind design
- Mimics the motion of board sports, such as skateboarding and surfing
- Can swing while sitting down or standing up
- Great way to improve your child’s balance and body strength
- Helps boost your child’s confidence
- Very well made
- Seat has a UV and water resistant finish so will last for years
- Comes with everything you need to hang it from a tree
- Adjustable handles
- 250 lb weight limit so the whole family can get in on the fun!
Jump Power UFO Swing Set
The Jump Power UFO Swing Set is an awesome backyard swing that’s sure to give your child hours of outdoor fun!
Designed to hold 2 kids at once, this UFO Swing Set measures 84″ X 69″ X 73″ and has heavy duty galvanized steel tubing and frame.
It has an adjustable PVC chain that’s coated to for safety, ensuring your child doesn’t get their fingers pinched.
This swing set is safe and well made so it will last for years. And kids love that it’s shaped like a UFO and they can either lie down or sit up on the seat.
Ideal for children ages 3 to 8, this swing will hold a maximum of 110 lbs and is a great swing set for a small yard.
This UFO Swing Set makes a great addition to any backyard play area.
Why We Recommend The Jump Power UFO Swing Set
- Kids think it’s tons of fun!
- Very safe
- Ideal for small spaces
- Tubing and frame are made from heavy duty galvanized steel
- Adjustable chain is coated so small fingers won’t get pinched
- Large enough to be used by 2 kids at the same time
- Kids love that they can either lie down or sit up on the seat
- Provides your child with hours of outdoor exercise
- Bowl shaped seat makes it safe for toddlers as well as older kids
- Easy to assemble
- Durable and built to last
Wind Rider Glider Swing
The Wind Rider Glider Swing is a unique type of swing that your child will have lots of fun on!
This single child glider is designed to allow younger children to swing themselves without needing anyone to push them. It’s easy for your child to start, speed up, slow down, or stop, and all they have to do to keep the glider moving is lean forward and back with their body.
The comfortable seat offers some nice sturdy back support for your child and it has hand grips and foot holds.
This Wind Rider Glider is easy to assemble but it doesn’t come with any hardware. The included chains will attach to any standard swing hangers so if you’re hanging it where you already have hooks, you’ll be OK. If not, you’ll have to purchase the hardware you’ll need (sold separately).
This glider swing is a great way to improve your child’s coordination and strength and it’s a great addition to any backyard. It also helps younger children make the transition from a toddler swing to a regular swing.
Why We Recommend The Wind Rider Glider Swing
- Kids think the gliding motion is lots of fun!
- Sturdy and safe
- Improves your child’s strength and coordination
- Smaller kids don’t need anyone to push them
- Helps your child transition from a toddler swing to a regular swing
- Comfortable high back seat
- Easy to assemble and put up
Web Riderz Outdoor Swing N’ Spin
The Web Riderz Outdoor Swing N’ Spin is a hammock meets swing meets merry-go-round that’s tons of fun!
This netted swing is really versatile and your child will love all the ways they can swing on it. They can sit, stand, kneel, lie on their stomach, or lie on their back. And in addition to the traditional back and forth swinging motion, this swing can also go side to side and around in a large circle.
But what kids love most of all about this awesome Web Riderz Swing is the thrill they get from the spinning motion! You just wind it up and let them spin round and round.
The woven platform seat has a diameter of 39″ and is made from UV-resistant polyethylene rope with a steel tube powder-coated frame. The included adjustable hanging ropes are made from the same UV-resistant polyethylene, ensuring this swing will last for years.
It can be hung from a playground set or a tree and is designed to be attached from one point or two points. It comes fully assembled but doesn’t come with any hanging hardware, so depending on where you want to hang it, you may need to purchase hardware (sold separately).
The Swing N’ Spin is an ideal swing for a small back yard and it holds up to 600 lbs so the whole family can join in the fun.
It’s recommended for kids 5+ and because there are so many ways your child can swing on it, this fantastic backyard toy is one they won’t tire of easily!
Why We Recommend The Web Riderz Outdoor Swing N’ Spin
- Kids love all the ways they can swing on it!
- Sturdy and safe
- Provides your child with fun outdoor exercise
- Helps improve your child’s balance, coordination, and overall body strength
- Platform seat is large enough to be shared by multiple kids at the same time
- Can hold up to 600 lbs so adults can use it too
- Can be attached from one point or two points
- All the rope is UV-resistant polyethylene so it will last for years
Little Tikes 2-in-1 Snug ‘n Secure Swing
The Little Tikes 2-in-1 Snug ‘n Secure Swing is a nice little swing that your infant or small toddler will love swinging in!
Designed to grow with your child from baby to toddler, this outdoor swing has some great features.
The T-bar holds your baby safely in place and rotates down so you can easily load and unload you child.
When your child gets bigger and no longer needs the T-bar, it can be removed. At that point, if your toddler still needs to be secured into the swing, you can use the adjustable shoulder straps. If not, the shoulder straps also easily move out of the way.
A lot of parents love that the shoulder strap buckles have covers that can only be accessed from the bottom. This is a great safety feature that prevents your toddler from unbuckling themselves.
It can be hung from an existing swing set or tree branch and comes with heavy duty hanging ropes. There’s a large S-clip on the end of each rope, but depending on where you’re hanging it, you may need other hardware (sold separately).
Made in the USA, this Little Tikes swing has a maximum weight limit of 50 lbs. It’s a great little swing that grows with your child and will provide them with years of outdoor fun!
Why We Recommend The Little Tikes 2-in-1 Snug ‘n Secure Swing
- It’s safe
- Can be used from baby up to toddlers
- T-bar holds your baby safely in place
- T-bar rotates down for easy loading and unloading
- T-bar can be removed once your child is bigger
- Adjustable shoulder straps hold your toddler securely in place
- Covers on shoulder strap buckles ensure your toddler can’t unbuckle themselves
- Easy to assemble
- Made in the USA and built to last
How to Choose a Swing Set that will Fit Nicely in Your Small Yard
Limited backyard space does not have to limit your child’s fun. If you have fond memories of playing on a swing set as a child, you likely want to share that experience with your own children.
However, if you have a small yard it can feel impossible to fit a swing set in the space you have available.
The good news for parents and grandparents is that swing sets come in all shapes and sizes. With so many options available, you can find a swing set that works with your backyard.
Your children can enjoy the many benefits that come with having a swing set, including fun for the entire family.
Keep reading to learn how to choose a swing set that will fit nicely in your small yard.
Why should you get a swing set for your child?
If you have a small yard, a swing set can seem like an unnecessary addition. After all, they just take up space in your already crowded backyard.
Many parents know that swing sets are fun for kids, and they may have their own favorite memories of swinging as a child.
However, a lot of people do not know the incredible benefits a swing set can provide for your child.
- Physical exercise: Swinging is a great way for kids to get in their daily exercise, burning calories and releasing energy. It is possible to burn up to 200 calories within an hour of swinging.
- Stronger muscles and joints: Kids can build up strength in their joints, tendons and ligaments by swinging. Swinging offers a low-impact way for children to build muscle.
- Increased socialization: The swing set is a great place for your children to play together, with other family members, or with new friends.Whether they are spending time with a sibling, cousin, or neighbor, swinging offers a fun and low-stress environment for socialization.
- Less screen time: Swing sets are a great way to get your kids off their devices and outside. Having a fun activity in the backyard encourages children to go outdoors on a nice day.
- Improved balance and focus: Not only does swinging help build muscle, it improves balance for children. Swinging can also provide a low-stress and low-impact activity to keep kids focused on the task at hand.
- Calming activity: Swinging on a swing set can be incredibly relaxing for children – and adults! The motion of swinging is both peaceful and soothing, which can help calm a child’s mind after a long day at school or time spend in front of a screen.
- Improved sleep: The combination of outdoor exercise and relaxation provided by swing sets can actually help your child sleep better.Burning calories and enjoying a calming activity can work wonders for an uninterrupted night’s sleep, which can improve grades, focus, and overall health.
- Build a healthier immune system: Vitamin D and fresh air can boost your child’s immune system, helping them fight off colds and the flu. Parents hate when their child is sick, and a swing set is a surprising way to fight off illnesses.
- Inspire creativity: In addition to improving your child’s physical health, swing sets can boost their mental wellness as well.Just being outside by themselves or with a playmate can inspire creativity and grow their imagination. After all, a swing can easily become a rocket to the moon or an underwater submarine.
Can you get a swing set if you have a small yard?
You can absolutely get a swing set, even if you have a small yard. While everyone’s definition of ‘small’ is different, it is possible to fit a swing set in tighter spaces.
You can also get a swing set for your child without having to take up all the space in your backyard. A lot of people use their backyard for cooking out, outdoor seating, and more.
There is no need to sacrifice your other entertainment activities for a swing set.
Determine how much space you have
You may have more space in your yard than you think. It is important to measure your yard and the potential space for your swing set to determine the dimensions you are working with.
Tape or chalk are easy ways to mark lines in your yard to outline the space for a swing set. Leave enough room around the swing set for clearance, and measure the space you have.
This measurement will be crucial when choosing a swing set.
Choose the perfect spot for your swing set
You may not have many places to choose from in your yard when it comes to where to place your swing set. However, if you have multiple options, it can be difficult to determine the best spot.
If you are not sure where to put a swing set, consider the following tips:
- Check on sight lines: How easy is it to see the swing set from the house? You want to maintain sight lines from various windows, so you can easily check on your children as they play.
- Orientation to the house: This one is mainly about esthetics. You can determine if you prefer to place your swing set parallel, perpendicular, or at an angle to your home.
- Make sure there are no underground elements: Sprinklers, gas lines, and other underground elements can prevent you from properly anchoring a swing set when you install it.Choose a spot that is clear of these things for the best placement.
- No overhead obstacles: Overhead is as important as what is underground. Avoid power lines, roof overhangs, tree limbs, and anything else that could get in your child’s way as they swing.
- Open space around the swing set: The swing set you choose will likely have specific instructions about how much clearance space is necessary. It is important to maintain open space around the swing set for a safe environment.
- Out of direct sunlight: Direct sunlight leads to hot surfaces and potential burns. A swing set that faces north will likely get the least amount of direct sunlight, but find some shade if possible.
- Level ground: A level ground is essential for a safe and stable swing set. You can either find a place in your yard that is already level or look for a spot that you can level easily.
Make the most of your yard space
You may already have items in your yard taking up space. Grills, patio furniture, other outdoor toys, and more can all take up room in your yard.
Before you get a swing set, consider how you can make the most out of the space you do have.
Can your grill be stored somewhere else when you are not using it?
Can you find patio furniture that folds out of the way?
There are many ways to maximize space and open up more room for a swing set.
Knowing where you will place your swing set and how much space you have is important for choosing the right swing set.
You do not want to purchase a swing set only to find out that it will not fit in your small yard.
Carefully review the dimensions of any swing set you consider to ensure it will fit in your yard.
How to choose a swing set for a small yard
There are many factors to consider when selecting a swing set for your small yard. You want to choose a swing set that your children will enjoy as well as one that works best for your space.
Consider the following aspects when reviewing swing sets.
As mentioned above, review the dimensions of a swing set before purchasing. You can even place tape in your yard to mark where the swing set will go.
Make sure the swing set you choose is the right size for your child. Pay close attention to size and weight restrictions to ensure safety.
Depending on the size and age of your child, you may need to look for restraint bars, buckles, or other safety features.
The materials of your swing set are very important. Look for an option that will stand up over time with a lot of use.
Coating on chains can increase durability, and certain types of metals are less prone to rusting.
Ease of use
Can your child get in and out of the swing on their own? Older children may prefer some autonomy while they play on their swing, so consider how easy it is for them to use the swing by themselves.
As the person who will have to put the swing together, take note of the assembly required. Make sure you have the necessary tools to properly assemble the swing.
If assembly requires an expert level of skill, consider another option or hire someone to put the swing set together.
Swing sets stay outside, rain or shine. While you may be able to get a cover for your swing set, look for an option that is weather resistant.
Waterproof materials, durable ropes, and rust-free metals can hold up in almost any type of weather.
Convertible or adjustable
Consider whether a swing set can grow with your child. For many swing sets, you can adjust the height as your child gets older.
Also, swing sets with higher weight limits can be adjusted for both older children and adults. With an adjustable swing set, your family can enjoy playing outside for many years.
We all remember the joy of playing on a swing set, homemade or store bought, when we were kids, and naturally we want that now for our own children.
Don’t let your small yard deprive your kids of experiencing the incredible fun that playing on a swing set gives.
Follow our guide and recommendations to find the perfect swing set for your small yard and let the fun begin!