Check Table of Contents
- Editor’s Choice – Our Top Pick Of The Best Blocks For A Toddler
- More Melissa & Doug Building Blocks For Toddlers You Should Consider
- Best Battat Bristle Blocks For Your Toddler To Build With
Kids love building things, so what better way to encourage your child’s creativity and imagination than giving them one of the best building blocks to play with!
From a very young age, children try to stack different objects, which is their way of trying to build something.
If you give them a number of similar objects, they will undoubtedly try to place some of them on top of each other, and then knock them down again in fits of laughter!
There are so many developmental benefits in allowing your toddler to play with different types of building toys.
These types of toys open their creative senses, expand their imaginations to see what’s possible, fine tune their motor skills and so much more.
Playing with toddler’s building blocks could be the foundation for your child to explore engineering, mechanics, gravity and so much more!
With that in mind, we’ve carefully selected the block for toddlers that meet our strict criteria of quality, value for money, safety and fun!
ToyReviewExperts is reader-supported. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. Learn more
Editor’s Choice – Our Top Pick Of The Best Blocks For A Toddler
Here’s why the Melissa & Doug Wooden Building Blocks Set is our top building block toy for a toddler:
- Wonderful educational building blocks that toddlers love playing with
- With 100 blocks in 9 different shapes and 4 different colors, your child has lots of building options
- Great toy for encouraging your toddler to express themselves creatively and imaginatively
- Made of solid wood and non toxic paint so very safe for your little one
- Kids are attracted to all the brightly colored blocks, which encourages them to play
- Will grow with your toddler, as they can use more and more blocks as their building skills improve
- Great value for your money
More Melissa & Doug Building Blocks For Toddlers You Should Consider
Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Match And Build Soft Block Set
This Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Match And Build Soft Block Set is a great first block set for young toddlers.
The set includes ten 3 inch cubes and 4 triangles that are the ideal size and texture for small hands to grasp and play with.
Each cloth covered block is brightly colored and has numbers and fun pictures of animals and objects on the sides.
Some of the blocks even have flaps with pictures under them.
With these Melissa & Doug soft blocks, there’s no shortage of things for your child to do.
They can build with them, stack them, or have fun matching the parts of the animals up, so they can see a panda bear, an alligator, and a zebra.
They can also match up the parts of the ambulance and a school bus, match the number of objects to the correct number, and 9 of the blocks make a puzzle.
With so many different activities, this block set is sure to keep your child happily engaged for long periods of time, whether they’re playing on their own or with others.
Plus parents we know love that these blocks can be washed, and they come with a handy case for easy storage and transport.
Although they’re recommended for kids 9 months to 3 years old, many parents said that they’re suitable for any child who can sit up on their own.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Match And Build Soft Block Set
- These colorful blocks are sure to grab your toddler’s attention and provide them with hours of fun!
- These blocks offer your child educational activities, including counting, matching, and a puzzle
- They can help your child develop their fine motor, problem solving, and visual thinking skills
- Great way to introduce your child to stacking and building
- They come with a case for convenient storage and transport
- These blocks can be washed in the washer and then dried in the dryer, so they’re easy to keep clean
- There are lots of things your child can do with this block set, making it well worth the cost
- Parents think they give you great value for your money
Melissa & Doug Extra Thick Cardboard Building Blocks
These Melissa & Doug Extra Thick Cardboard Building Blocks make a fun and safe set to get your toddler interesting in building.
There are 24 red, yellow, and blue blocks in this set and they come in 3 different sizes.
Lightweight and easy to use, once put together they’re very sturdy.
In fact, the red blocks can hold up to 150 lbs of weight!
Kids love using these over-sized building blocks to build towers to knock down, hideouts for stuffed animals or figurines, and lots of other fun things.
Because of the size, smaller toddlers will need some help using these blocks, which makes it a great shared activity for older kids and family members to get in on.
Although they’re recommended for kids 2 to 4 years old, parents say that kids as young as a year and as old 6 also enjoy using these blocks.
They’re lightweight, making them easy for small kids to stack and carry around.
Cleaning them is a breeze, because all you have to do is wipe off the surface.
These Melissa & Doug Extra Thick Cardboard Building Blocks are sure to capture your child’s attention and make them eager to develop their building skills.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug Extra Thick Cardboard Building Blocks
- Toddlers have lots of fun playing with them!
- Although cardboard, these blocks are durable and made to last
- The red blocks hold up to 150 lbs, so kids can have fun standing on them or using them as big stepping stones
- The large size of these blocks allowing children to build big things
- They’re easy to put together
- These blocks encourage your child to use their imagination and creativity
- These Melissa & Doug blocks are lightweight, making them easy for small kids to stack and carry
- They help develop your child’s problem solving skills and visual thinking
- Great way to improve you toddler’s fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Wonderful shared activity, which helps develop your child’s socialization skills
Best Battat Bristle Blocks For Your Toddler To Build With
Battat Bristle Blocks 112-Piece Basic Building Set
The Battat Bristle Blocks 112 Pc Basic Building Set will provide your toddler with tons of fun as well as imaginary and creative play.
What makes it interesting is that the blocks interlock and can be connected together at any angle making for some awesome building creations by your toddler!
Each of the 112 blocks is soft, making them safe for your child to use and manipulate and they come in nice bright eye-catching colors and shapes.
When they want to dismantle their creation, all they have to do is squeeze the blocks together and they will come apart easily.
Your toddler will also get 8 wheels that work, so that they can create items that move, which makes for even more fun!
You can use these blocks in conjunction with Battat Spinaroo and Stackadoo Blocks, or any other Bristle block sets for even more imaginary and creative fun!
Several parents we know shared that this building toy is really cool and their child loved it!
They found it was a great starter set for their child.
Why We Recommend The Battat Bristle Blocks 112 Pc Basic Building Set
- Colorful, fun building toy that toddlers love playing with!
- Easy for your child to put together when building and easy to take apart when dismantling their creation
- Helps to improve your child’s fine motor skills and dexterity
- Blocks stay in place when locked which encourages your child to continue building
- As wheels are included, your child can build moving objects too
- Great toy for imaginative and creative play
- Works well with other Battat Bristle Blocks selts and also Spinaroo and Stackadoo Blocks
- Your child can play with them independently or for more fun, can play with toddler friends or siblings
- Wonderful toy for entire family to enjoy together for special bonding time
B Bristle Block Stackadoos
This colorful assortment of B Bristle Block Stackadoos are an ideal starter or add-on set for all your toddler’s building projects!
The 68 blocks come in a variety of shapes and sizes including circles, squares, triangles and rectangles.
The soft, chunky pieces that make up this fun set of blocks are the perfect size for your child’s small hands to hold and build with.
For even more creative building fun, these Stackadoos can be combined with other Bristle Block building sets.
They come in a convenient storage jar and an idea booklet is also included.
Although this set of Stackadoos isn’t really designed for building moving vehicles, your child will still be able to use these blocks for hours of creative possibilities!
Ideal for boys and girls 2 years and up, any toddler on your shopping list would be thrilled to get these enjoyable Stackadoos.
Why We Recommend The B Bristle Block Stackadoos
- Toddlers really enjoy the texture of the blocks
- They encourage independent play
- Stackadoo blocks are easy for small hands to hold and manipulate
- These colorful blocks allow your child to create all sorts of things, from animals to buildings and lots more
- The blocks are well made and stay attached to one another
- Helps your child improve their hand-eye coordination
- Encourages pretend play
- Helps your toddler develop their fine motor skills
- Great for encouraging sharing and cooperative play in your child when they play with siblings and friends
- Stackadoo Blocks come in a screw top jar for easy and convenient storage
Mondo Bloxx 40 Pack Cardboard Block Brick Set
If your toddler loves large building blocks, they’ll be thrilled to receive this Mondo Bloxx Cardboard Block Brick Set as a gift as it allows them to really express themselves creatively.
With 40 cardboard building blocks in all, this set is wonderful for any toddlers who love building extra large structures!
Once assembled, these large cardboard building blocks can provide your child with hours of playtime fun.
Many parents and grandparents remember these gigantic blocks from their childhood.
And most people shared with us that they are still the same sturdy build and tons of fun!
Each super strong block is 12″ X 6″ X 3″ and they’re made in the USA from recycled materials.
Your toddler will love building everything from towers to tunnels, hi-rise building, farm buildings and everything in between, limited only by their imagination!
You’ll find your child will thoroughly enjoy building a large structure that they can then crawl into and play inside!
With the Mondo Bloxx Brick Set, there are endless construction possibilities.
And your child can keep adding to the set so that they can be even more adventurous with their building creations.
Although some assembly is required, several parents shared that the blocks are easy to put together.
Loved by kids and adults alike, these blocks are perfectly suitable for kids 2 years and up.
Why We Recommend The 40 Pc Mondo Bloxx Cardboard Block Brick Set
- Toddlers love that these large building blocks can build huge structures that they can play in and crawl through!
- These blocks can really fire up your child’s imagination
- Great way to develop your toddler’s problem solving skills
- Really helps your child expand their imaginative and creative thinking
- Suitable for independent play or cooperative play
- Your child can build a variety of different things using these blocks including forts, roads, bridges and lots more
- The cardboard building blocks are strong enough to hold your toddler’s weight
- Great way to develop your child’s gross motor skills, flexibility, balance and coordination
- Easy for parents to assemble so your child can get started right away
- Very sturdy and built to last so will be around for many years
- Parents feel the Mondo Bloxx are great value for your money
- Fun for the whole family!