Kids love building things, so what better way to encourage your child’s creativity and imagination than giving them one of the best building blocks to play with!
From a very young age, children try to stack different objects, which is their way of trying to build something.
If you give them a number of similar objects, they will undoubtedly try to place some of them on top of each other, and then knock them down again in fits of laughter!
There are so many developmental benefits in allowing your toddler to play with different types of building toys.
These types of toys open their creative senses, expand their imaginations to see what’s possible, fine tune their motor skills and so much more.
Playing with toddler’s building blocks could be the foundation for your child to explore engineering, mechanics, gravity and so much more!
With that in mind, we’ve carefully selected the block for toddlers that meet our strict criteria of quality, value for money, safety and fun!
ToyReviewExperts is reader-supported. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission. Learn more
- Editor’s Choice – Our Top Pick Of The Best Blocks For A Toddler
- More Melissa & Doug Building Blocks For Toddlers You Should Consider
- Best Mega Bloks Building Blocks For Toddlers To Have Fun With
- Best Battat Bristle Blocks For Your Toddler To Build With
- Best Wooden Building Blocks For Toddlers To Get Creative With
- One More Interesting Building Block Set You Might Like For Your Toddler
- Need More Help Picking A Toddler Toy?
Editor’s Choice – Our Top Pick Of The Best Blocks For A Toddler
Here’s why the Melissa & Doug Wooden Building Blocks Set is our top building block toy for a toddler:
- Wonderful educational building blocks that toddlers love playing with
- With 100 blocks in 9 different shapes and 4 different colors, your child has lots of building options
- Great toy for encouraging your toddler to express themselves creatively and imaginatively
- Made of solid wood and non toxic paint so very safe for your little one
- Kids are attracted to all the brightly colored blocks, which encourages them to play
- Will grow with your toddler, as they can use more and more blocks as their building skills improve
- Great value for your money
Check out our detailed review below if you’d like to know more about the Melissa & Doug Wooden Building Blocks Set.
Melissa & Doug Wooden Building Blocks Set
This Melissa & Doug Wooden Building Blocks Set is perfect for toddlers who love to build things.
Your toddler will get 100 brightly colored blocks in 9 different shapes and various sizes so that they can create different types of structures.
These solid wood blocks come in 4 colors, and are made using non-toxic paint, so they’re very safe for your child to play with.
Your toddler will be able to build all kinds of things, such as castles, towers, bridges, houses and more! Whatever they dream up, they can create!
As well as building different things, your toddler might enjoy sorting the blocks by color, shape or size, or stacking them up and knocking them down again.
A number mentioned that this Melissa & Doug Wooden Building Blocks Set is very educational as it helped their child learn about about sorting, counting, colors, shapes, and more.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug Wooden Building Blocks Set
- Toddlers love this building toy set with it’s vibrant colors and different block sizes and shapes
- Kids have great fun playing with it and making all kinds of creations
- Encourages your child to be creative and think outside the box
- Wonderful educational toy that can help your toddler learn about colors, sorting, shapes, and more
- Great for independent or shared play
- Perfect size pieces for tiny hands to hold and manipulate
- Made from solid wood with non toxic paint so this set is safe for your toddler
- Will grow with your child, as they can use more and more blocks as their building skills improve
- Helps develop your little one’s hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, and dexterity
- Fun way for your toddler to practice their color and shape recognition and early math skills
- Gives you great value for your money
More Melissa & Doug Building Blocks For Toddlers You Should Consider
Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Match And Build Soft Block Set
This Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Match And Build Soft Block Set is a great first block set for young toddlers.
The set includes ten 3 inch cubes and 4 triangles that are the ideal size and texture for small hands to grasp and play with.
Each cloth covered block is brightly colored and has numbers and fun pictures of animals and objects on the sides.
Some of the blocks even have flaps with pictures under them.
With these Melissa & Doug soft blocks, there’s no shortage of things for your child to do.
They can build with them, stack them, or have fun matching the parts of the animals up, so they can see a panda bear, an alligator, and a zebra.
They can also match up the parts of the ambulance and a school bus, match the number of objects to the correct number, and 9 of the blocks make a puzzle.
With so many different activities, this block set is sure to keep your child happily engaged for long periods of time, whether they’re playing on their own or with others.
Plus parents we know love that these blocks can be washed, and they come with a handy case for easy storage and transport.
Although they’re recommended for kids 9 months to 3 years old, many parents said that they’re suitable for any child who can sit up on their own.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug K’s Kids Match And Build Soft Block Set
- These colorful blocks are sure to grab your toddler’s attention and provide them with hours of fun!
- These blocks offer your child educational activities, including counting, matching, and a puzzle
- They can help your child develop their fine motor, problem solving, and visual thinking skills
- Great way to introduce your child to stacking and building
- They come with a case for convenient storage and transport
- These blocks can be washed in the washer and then dried in the dryer, so they’re easy to keep clean
- There are lots of things your child can do with this block set, making it well worth the cost
- Parents think they give you great value for your money
Melissa & Doug Extra Thick Cardboard Building Blocks
These Melissa & Doug Extra Thick Cardboard Building Blocks make a fun and safe set to get your toddler interesting in building.
There are 24 red, yellow, and blue blocks in this set and they come in 3 different sizes.
Lightweight and easy to use, once put together they’re very sturdy.
In fact, the red blocks can hold up to 150 lbs of weight!
Kids love using these over-sized building blocks to build towers to knock down, hideouts for stuffed animals or figurines, and lots of other fun things.
Because of the size, smaller toddlers will need some help using these blocks, which makes it a great shared activity for older kids and family members to get in on.
Although they’re recommended for kids 2 to 4 years old, parents say that kids as young as a year and as old 6 also enjoy using these blocks.
They’re lightweight, making them easy for small kids to stack and carry around.
Cleaning them is a breeze, because all you have to do is wipe off the surface.
These Melissa & Doug Extra Thick Cardboard Building Blocks are sure to capture your child’s attention and make them eager to develop their building skills.
Why We Recommend The Melissa & Doug Extra Thick Cardboard Building Blocks
- Toddlers have lots of fun playing with them!
- Although cardboard, these blocks are durable and made to last
- The red blocks hold up to 150 lbs, so kids can have fun standing on them or using them as big stepping stones
- The large size of these blocks allowing children to build big things
- They’re easy to put together
- These blocks encourage your child to use their imagination and creativity
- These Melissa & Doug blocks are lightweight, making them easy for small kids to stack and carry
- They help develop your child’s problem solving skills and visual thinking
- Great way to improve you toddler’s fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Wonderful shared activity, which helps develop your child’s socialization skills
Best Mega Bloks Building Blocks For Toddlers To Have Fun With
Mega Blocks 80 Piece Big Building Bag (Classic)
This Mega Blocks 80 Piece Big Building Bag Classic set comes with everything your little toddler builder needs to start creating masterpieces.
The First Builders Classic set is compatible with all the other sets, and comes in a PVC free bag with a zipper and a hand strap for easy transport and storage.
The blocks are BPA and PVC free and their size prevents them from being a choking hazard for younger kids.
These Mega blocks can be used with other Mega block sets to provide even more building fun.
There are a number of different shapes that allow your child to build a variety of different objects making building with these blocks even more fun.
And in addition to the colorful blocks in this set, you also get some wheels so your toddler can build all kinds of vehicles and then play with them.
Not only are these blocks great for building, your child can also use them to practice color recognition, counting and sorting.
Plus they’re a wonderful way to expand your toddler’s imagination and help develop their dexterity, fine motor skills, and problem solving skills.
Recommended for kids 1 to 5 years old, this Mega Blocks Building Set offers your child hours of building fun and pretend play.
Why We Recommend The Classic Mega Blocks 80 Piece Big Building Bag
- Kids think these blocks are tons of fun to play with
- Your toddler will be able to build lots of different things with this set, including vehicles with wheels
- These blocks fit together easily, allowing your child to build with less frustration
- They can be used an a fun educational aid for color recognition, counting, and sorting
- These blocks encourages your child’s creativity and allow for open ended play
- This block set can help your child develop problem solving skills as they figure out to build different things
- Great way to develop your toddler’s fine motor skills
- These blocks are durable and should last for years
- They’re very colorful and is sure to appeal to young kids
- This set is large enough for two kids to build together, which encourages cooperative play and helps develop your toddler’s socialization and language skills
- They’re BPA and PVC free
- This block set will grow with your child; as they get older, they will learn to build more and more intricate objects
- These blocks are large, making them easier for small kids to handle and put together
Mega Blocks Deluxe Building Bag 150 Piece
The 150 piece Mega Bloks Deluxe Building Set is a great toy for older toddlers who love building with lots of blocks.
This block set includes 150 colorful blocks in a number of different shapes and sizes.
It comes with a reusable zipper bag that has a convenient handle on it plus a booklet that shows your child how to build different things.
The bag that comes with this set is roomy and will easily hold extra blocks or other small toys that your child may want to use when playing with these blocks.
In addition to being great fun to build with, these blocks can also help teach your toddler about colors, sorting and counting.
They’re also a wonderful way to develop your child’s fine motor skills, visual thinking, hand-eye coordination, and problem solving skills.
Made of durable plastic, these large blocks are the ideal size for small hands and they fit together easily, so they’re great for toddlers and preschoolers.
Plus, since there are 150 blocks in this set, it’s great for sharing, which can help your child learn about cooperative play.
Recommended for kids between 1 and 5 years old, this Mega Blocks Deluxe Building Set is a fun and educational way to keep your little one occupied and engaged.
Why We Recommend The 150 Piece Mega Blocks Deluxe Building Set
- Toddlers think these colorful blocks are tons of fun to play with!
- The blocks are large and just the right size for little hands
- These Mega building blocks fit together easily, making them less frustrating for your child to build with
- They are very well made and designed to last
- Great way to help your child develop problem solving skills and visual thinking
- Can be used to teach your toddler about colors, sorting, and counting
- These blocks will help your child release their creativity
- This set is large enough to share, which helps develop your child’s socialization skills
- Can help develop your toddler’s fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- These blocks grow with your child because as they get older and develop their building skills, they can build bigger things
Mega Bloks Smiley Tiger
If you’re looking for a super fun set of blocks for your toddler, then have a look at this wonderful Mega Bloks Smiley Tiger set that your toddler will simply love!
Now while we have featured the Tiger set of blocks, you also have four other cool sets to chose from, including frog, bunny, panda, and puppy. So you’re bound to find one that will appeal to your toddler!
Each set has 25 blocks and they come in a bucket shaped in the animal you’ve chose, so for the Tiger set, the box is shaped like a tiger.
The lid of this cute storage container is shaped like a tiger’s head and the really neat thing is that your child can attach blocks to it and stack them from there!
All the blocks are colorful and very easy for young toddler’s hands to hold and manipulate.
Recommended for children ages 1 to 5, several parents we know shared that it’s the perfect starter set of blocks for a toddler to play with.
They also mentioned that their children love the animal shaped box, and the number of blocks is enough to keep them engaged and entertained for long periods of time.
Because the box is so cute, your toddler will enjoy putting the blocks away once playtime is over.
And it’s a really nice travel toy to keep your child amused on long trips or visits to a restaurant.
Why We Recommend The Mega Bloks Smiley Tiger
- Toddlers think these blocks are tons of fun to build with!
- Parents and toddlers absolutely adore the cute animal themed storage container for the blocks
- Lid of storage container is in the shape of a cute animal and your toddler can attach blocks to it!
- These blocks are easy to snap together for younger kids
- They really encourage your child to use their imagination
- Building with these blocks helps your child develop problem solving and visual thinking skills
- Parents love that these blocks are very age appropriate for toddlers
- Great way to improve your child’s fine motor skills and dexterity
- These blocks are exceptionally durable and sure to hold up for years of play
- They’re easy to clean, as you can just wipe them off with a damp cloth or spray them off with a hose
- You can always add to the set to expand the level of play and engagement for your toddler
Best Battat Bristle Blocks For Your Toddler To Build With
Battat Bristle Blocks 112-Piece Basic Building Set
The Battat Bristle Blocks 112 Pc Basic Building Set will provide your toddler with tons of fun as well as imaginary and creative play.
What makes it interesting is that the blocks interlock and can be connected together at any angle making for some awesome building creations by your toddler!
Each of the 112 blocks is soft, making them safe for your child to use and manipulate and they come in nice bright eye-catching colors and shapes.
When they want to dismantle their creation, all they have to do is squeeze the blocks together and they will come apart easily.
Your toddler will also get 8 wheels that work, so that they can create items that move, which makes for even more fun!
You can use these blocks in conjunction with Battat Spinaroo and Stackadoo Blocks, or any other Bristle block sets for even more imaginary and creative fun!
Several parents we know shared that this building toy is really cool and their child loved it!
They found it was a great starter set for their child.
Why We Recommend The Battat Bristle Blocks 112 Pc Basic Building Set
- Colorful, fun building toy that toddlers love playing with!
- Easy for your child to put together when building and easy to take apart when dismantling their creation
- Helps to improve your child’s fine motor skills and dexterity
- Blocks stay in place when locked which encourages your child to continue building
- As wheels are included, your child can build moving objects too
- Great toy for imaginative and creative play
- Works well with other Battat Bristle Blocks selts and also Spinaroo and Stackadoo Blocks
- Your child can play with them independently or for more fun, can play with toddler friends or siblings
- Wonderful toy for entire family to enjoy together for special bonding time
B Bristle Block Stackadoos
This colorful assortment of B Bristle Block Stackadoos are an ideal starter or add-on set for all your toddler’s building projects!
The 68 blocks come in a variety of shapes and sizes including circles, squares, triangles and rectangles.
The soft, chunky pieces that make up this fun set of blocks are the perfect size for your child’s small hands to hold and build with.
For even more creative building fun, these Stackadoos can be combined with other Bristle Block building sets.
They come in a convenient storage jar and an idea booklet is also included.
Although this set of Stackadoos isn’t really designed for building moving vehicles, your child will still be able to use these blocks for hours of creative possibilities!
Ideal for boys and girls 2 years and up, any toddler on your shopping list would be thrilled to get these enjoyable Stackadoos.
Why We Recommend The B Bristle Block Stackadoos
- Toddlers really enjoy the texture of the blocks
- They encourage independent play
- Stackadoo blocks are easy for small hands to hold and manipulate
- These colorful blocks allow your child to create all sorts of things, from animals to buildings and lots more
- The blocks are well made and stay attached to one another
- Helps your child improve their hand-eye coordination
- Encourages pretend play
- Helps your toddler develop their fine motor skills
- Great for encouraging sharing and cooperative play in your child when they play with siblings and friends
- Stackadoo Blocks come in a screw top jar for easy and convenient storage
Best Wooden Building Blocks For Toddlers To Get Creative With
K’Nex Lincoln Logs 100th Anniversary Tin (111 Pieces)
This K’Nex Lincoln Logs 111 Piece 100th Anniversary Tin proves that while modern technology is great, sometimes you just can’t beat old style tried and true toys.
Made of high quality maple wood, this 111 all wood piece set is a great way to get your toddler’s creative juices flowing and allow their imagination to soar.
It has everything your little builder needs to create a masterpiece, including logs, roof slats, facades, a chimney piece and lots more.
All the pieces come in a collectible tin that’s perfect for storage and transport, plus it’s large enough to store a few extra Lincoln Logs in.
Made in the USA, these logs will hold up for generations of building fun.
In addition to the blocks, this set also comes with a few building ideas to get your child started.
They’re a wonderful way to develop your child’s fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, spatial awareness, and problem solving skills.
Recommended for kids 3 and up, Lincoln Logs are loved by kids of all ages.
Even adults enjoy building with them!
Lincoln Logs have been entertaining kids who enjoy building for over 100 years. S
o whether building a old fashioned log cabin, or a log garage for play cars, this set of Lincoln Logs is sure to be a great addition to any toddler’s creative toy collection.
Why We Recommend The K’Nex Lincoln Logs 111 Piece 100th Anniversary Tin
- Lincoln Logs are tons of fun to build with!
- This block set encourages your toddler to use their imagination
- Can help develop your child’s fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Made from high quality maple wood
- Durable and sure to last for years
- Great way to develop your toddler’s spatial awareness and problem solving skills
- They come in a tin container that’s ideal for storage and transport
- Parents think they give you great value for your money
Tegu 8 Piece Pocket Pouch Magnetic Wooden Block Set
The Tegu 8 Piece Pocket Pouch Magnetic Wooden Block Set is a great little travel toy for young toddlers.
This compact set easily fits into most diaper bags and purses, and all the pieces are made from sustainable wood.
The set consists of 4 cubes and 4 flat planks, and despite the fact that there are only 8 pieces in total, you’ll be truly amazed by how many things your child can build.
All the pieces in this Tegu set have a water-based lacquer finish, and they are made from lead free, plastic free, non-toxic material.
Because they’re magnetic, the pieces hold together very well, and they’re a great way to help develop your toddler’s fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, problem solving skills, and spatial awareness.
The blocks in this set can be combined with other Tegu block sets for even more building fun, and they come in a convenient little pouch that makes storage and transport easy.
If you’re looking for an entertaining travel toy that will keep your child happily occupied, this Tegu 8 Piece Pocket Pouch Magnetic Wooden Block Set may well fit the bill.
Why We Recommend The Tegu 8 Piece Pocket Pouch Magnetic Wooden Block Set
- These blocks are fun for toddlers and they enjoy figuring out how many different objects they build with them
- Parents like that this block set is compact and the ideal size for traveling
- These Tegu blocks come with their own convenient pouch, making storage and transport very easy
- Made from lead free, plastic free, non-toxic material
- These blocks will help to fuel your child’s imaginative
- Great way to help develop your child’s spatial awareness and problem solving skills
- This block set can help your toddler improve their fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- This Tegu block set is well made and durable enough to last for years of play
One More Interesting Building Block Set You Might Like For Your Toddler
Mondo Bloxx 40 Pack Cardboard Block Brick Set
If your toddler loves large building blocks, they’ll be thrilled to receive this Mondo Bloxx Cardboard Block Brick Set as a gift as it allows them to really express themselves creatively.
With 40 cardboard building blocks in all, this set is wonderful for any toddlers who love building extra large structures!
Once assembled, these large cardboard building blocks can provide your child with hours of playtime fun.
Many parents and grandparents remember these gigantic blocks from their childhood.
And most people shared with us that they are still the same sturdy build and tons of fun!
Each super strong block is 12″ X 6″ X 3″ and they’re made in the USA from recycled materials.
Your toddler will love building everything from towers to tunnels, hi-rise building, farm buildings and everything in between, limited only by their imagination!
You’ll find your child will thoroughly enjoy building a large structure that they can then crawl into and play inside!
With the Mondo Bloxx Brick Set, there are endless construction possibilities.
And your child can keep adding to the set so that they can be even more adventurous with their building creations.
Although some assembly is required, several parents shared that the blocks are easy to put together.
Loved by kids and adults alike, these blocks are perfectly suitable for kids 2 years and up.
Why We Recommend The 40 Pc Mondo Bloxx Cardboard Block Brick Set
- Toddlers love that these large building blocks can build huge structures that they can play in and crawl through!
- These blocks can really fire up your child’s imagination
- Great way to develop your toddler’s problem solving skills
- Really helps your child expand their imaginative and creative thinking
- Suitable for independent play or cooperative play
- Your child can build a variety of different things using these blocks including forts, roads, bridges and lots more
- The cardboard building blocks are strong enough to hold your toddler’s weight
- Great way to develop your child’s gross motor skills, flexibility, balance and coordination
- Easy for parents to assemble so your child can get started right away
- Very sturdy and built to last so will be around for many years
- Parents feel the Mondo Bloxx are great value for your money
- Fun for the whole family!
Need More Help Picking A Toddler Toy?
We know firsthand from our own personal experience how difficult it can be trying to find the most suitable toy for your young toddler.
You might be wondering if a building block toy is beneficial for your toddler, so have a read of our article on the benefits of building blocks toys for some reassurance.
We want to help in every way we can, which is why we’ve structured our toy categories in an easy to follow way.
Maybe a building blocks toy is not the ideal choice right now, and that’s ok, so check out the other toy suggestions available in our Building Sets toy category as you might find the inspiration you need!