Make family game night super fun with the best board games for 1 year olds so your toddlers can enjoy the excitement, joy and laughter of playing games together!
Since board games have rules that govern play, the toys under this heading are not board games in the traditional sense of the word.
But these board activities do however provide fun for your one year old child, teaching them some basic concepts of board games.
Since they require the developing skills later needed for playing games, for school, and for life, you should look at these activities as a type of pre-board game for young children.
Our handpicked selection of top quality board games will allow your 1 year old to be part of the fun of family games night!
- 10 Fun Board Games For 1 Year Olds
- Babe Rock Wooden Color Sorting Stacking Rings Board Game
- Jamohom Wooden 26 Letters Puzzles Board Game
- BettRoom Geometric Board Blocks Stack Sort Game
- Coogam Wooden Lacing Apple Threading Toys Wood Block Puzzle Board Game
- HONGKIT Magnetic Drawing Board Game
- Wooden Stacking Rings Board Game
- WOOD CITY Wooden Sorting & Stacking Toys Board Game
- Revanak Wooden Geometric Board Game Blocks Stack Sort
- Manhattan Toy Tree Top Adventure Activity Center Board Game
- Melissa & Doug First Shapes Jumbo Knob Wooden Puzzle Board Game
10 Fun Board Games For 1 Year Olds
Babe Rock Wooden Color Sorting Stacking Rings Board Game
The Babe Rock Wooden Color Sorting Stacking Rings Board Game is a simple toy designed for 1 year olds and up.
The board consists of 32 pieces including 16 pegs and 16 doughnut shaped circles.
With this board game, your child will learn color recognition and basic counting, as well helping them to concentrate, which will come in handy once your child is old enough to join in family game play.
The toy is made from sustainable wood and colored with non-toxic paint.
Best of all, this board game is open ended enough to allow your one year old to use their imagination and explore.
So don’t be surprised if they tap the sticks together to make a beat, or roll the round rings just for fun!
Why We Recommend The Babe Rock Wooden Color Sorting Stacking Ring Board Game
- This board game makes very basic learning fun for small children since they learn through play
- Helps develop your young child’s hand/eye coordination through putting the pegs in the hole and stacking the doughnuts onto the peg
- Your child will learn how to match by placing the correct doughnut on the correct peg
- Teaches your one year old color recognition (Tip: It helps if a parent or older child names the colors as your child places them on the peg)
- Counting skills can be gained by counting the circles or the pegs
- Sorting board is well made and durable
- Will grow with your child, helping them to continue to improve their skills as they grow and develop
Jamohom Wooden 26 Letters Puzzles Board Game
The Jamohom Wooden 26 Letter Alphabet Puzzle Board Game is slightly different than most other alphabet puzzles in that each letter can stand up on its own.
This puzzle board game is made from smooth wood and is non-toxic so it won’t harm your 1 year old child.
As your child lifts each letter, there will be a picture representing that letter underneath, such as ‘apple’ for A.
Depending on your child’s age, this can help them with picture and word recognition, helping to prepare them to start reading.
This puzzle board game can be used by young children to simply fit each letter into the proper spot, and later to learn letter recognition.
As your child develops, letters from this puzzle can be used to teach letter sounds, and even recognizing and spelling simple words.
This board game puzzle is perfect for one year olds and is a very engaging, fun, educational toy.
Why We Recommend The Jamohon Wooden 26 Letter Alphabet Puzzle Board Game
- There are a variety of ways your child can use this board game puzzle both for fun and for learning
- Your child can learn letters, object identification, counting, (the letters), word recognition, simply spelling
- Board game will help your child develop their fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination
- Helps your one year old learn problem solving and concentration
- Can be used alone by your child or with an older sibling or adult
- Grows with your child, allowing them to use this board game puzzle in more ways as they grow and develop
BettRoom Geometric Board Blocks Stack Sort Game
This BettRoom Wooden Educational Geometric Stack and Sort Board Game is a simple toy that provides a number of learning activities for your 1 year old as they happily play.
This board game and its 20 pieces is Non-toxic and BPA, Phthalate, and Lead FREE.
The shapes that fit on the pegs of this board come in five colors and fiver different shapes; circle, rectangle, triangle, square, and octagon.
Your child will enjoy sorting the pieces by color and shape, fitting them onto the correct number of pegs, counting the pieces, naming the colors, and may even use them to stack or build a tower.
The more often your one year old plays with this board game toy, the more skills they will develop.
Why We Recommend The BettRoom Wooden Educational Geometric Stack and Sort Board Game
- Board game toy allows your child to explore different shapes and colors and learn through exploration
- Teaches children color recognition with a little parental help
- Helps your one year old learn shapes
- Great board game toy to help your child learn counting
- Helps develop your child’s fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination
- This toy is extremely durable
- It will also grow with your child, providing various ways to play as your child grows and develops
Coogam Wooden Lacing Apple Threading Toys Wood Block Puzzle Board Game
This large bright Coogam Wooden Lacing Apple Threading Toys Wood Block Puzzle Board Game with 13 holes is sure to capture your young 1 year old child’s attention!
They will also love the caterpillar with the attached string that comes with the red apple, and will enjoy threading the string through the holes by moving the caterpillar in and out of the apple.
This threading activity board game makes a great accompaniment to the ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ story and your child will love having the caterpillar try to eat his way through the apple.
While this apple is just plain fun for your one year old, they will developing hand/eye coordination and fine motor skills, as well as taking the first steps in learning to ‘sew’ without effort.
Why We Recommend The Coogam Lacing Apple Threading Toys Wood Block Puzzle Board Game
- This threading toy board game will help your child develop fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination
- When combined with the book ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar;, your child will use their imagination to act out the caterpillars activities in the book
- This is a simple quiet toy that will hold your child’s interest and attention
- Durable and fun, your one year old will play with this board game toy over and over again!
- Can be used as an educational toy to teach your child counting and colors
- Made of top quality wood with non toxic paint
- Wonderful lacing board game that will keep your child focused
HONGKIT Magnetic Drawing Board Game
Very young children love drawing and coloring even before they can actually draw or color, which make this HongKit Magnetic Drawing Board Game a fun and entertaining toy for 1 year olds.
The board game is the perfect size for toddlers hands to hold and manipulate.
There is a slide at the bottom that runs the magnetic brush to remove the drawings, so your child can reuse the board.
The drawing stylus (pen) is attached to the board and a couple of stamps that fit into spots in the board.
The board is divided into four different colored sections which allow the colors to come through when your one year old draws on the board.
This board also has legs so children can sit on the floor and draw or write.
Made from high quality Non-toxic ABS material, it comes with a money back guarantee.
Why We Recommend The HongKit Magnetic Drawing Board Game
- This drawing board game will help your child develop their fine motor skills
- Encourages your child to allow their creativity to shine through
- Helps develop your child’s hand/eye coordination
- Board is easy for your child to clean so they can start over
- Children love to scribble or draw on this board and watch the colors come through
- The stamps are fun to use and will captivate your child’s interest
- Perfect board game for 1 year olds that love to scribble and draw!
Wooden Stacking Rings Board Game
Stacking Rings are popular toys for children because they can use these toys in a number of different ways.
Made of great wood, and non-toxic paint, this Wooden Stacking Rings Counting Board Game is a durable and fun toy for your 1 year old.
This stacking set consists of five flexible pegs secured to the base with a heavy duty string so they won’t get lost and five different colored large wooden beads.
The beads come in red, green, yellow, and 2 shades of blue.
Children can use these stacking rings to learn colors, counting, and sorting, as well as least to most.
Why We Recommend The Wooden Stacking Rings Counting Board Game
- Helps your child develop find motor skills and hand/eye coordination
- Allows your one year old learn to identify colors
- Can help your child learn to count
- As your toddler gets older, you can use the rings from this game to teach beginning addition and subtraction
- Add a large sturdy piece of yarn or string and let your child string these wooden beads
- Keeps one year old engrossed during imaginative play
WOOD CITY Wooden Sorting & Stacking Toys Board Game
This Wood City Wooden Sorting and Stacking Toy Board Game is a great toy that provides 1 year olds with a variety of different activities that keep them interested and having fun.
The peg board has four sections, with four colors and four different shapes, and the blocks that come with this toy can be used with or without the board.
This stacking toy is made from 100% Non-toxic wood and food grade paint and is eco friendly.
The board game helps your one year old to develop their fine motor skills, learn color recognition, sorting and counting.
Blocks can also be used by your child to use their creativity to build various things.
These blocks are sized well for small toddler hands.
Why We Recommend The Wood City Wooden Sorting And Stacking Toys Board Game
- Fun, engaging and lovely toy board game for 1 year olds
- Helps your child develop their fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination
- Children can use this toy board game to learn their colors, shapes and counting
- These blocks can be used for imaginative play
- Children can sort these blocks by colors or shapes
- Grows with your child so you get value for money
- Durable and can withstand your child’s rough and tumble play
Revanak Wooden Geometric Board Game Blocks Stack Sort
The Revanek Wooden Shape Color Geometric Board Game Blocks Stack and Sort for 1 year olds is a lot like Wood City Sorting and Stacking Toy board game we reviewed above.
However, where the Wood City board is square, this Revanek board is long, narrow and rectangular.
The board has pegs and come in five colors and shapes.
Colors are red, yellow, orange, blue and green and the shapes are round, rectangle, triangle, square, and octagon.
This stacking toy board game is made of wood and colored with Mon-toxic paint and is BPA, Lead, and Phthalate Free.
There are twenty blocks in this board game set for your 1 year old child to enjoy.
Why We Recommend The Revanek Wooden Shape Color Geometric Board Game Blocks Stack and Sort
- Fun, active, engaging toy board game for your one year old to have hours of play with
- This block set is perfect for your child to learn to sort
- Also great for teaching your child color recognition and counting
- Helps your child develop fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination
- Stacking board is sturdy, durable and should last a long time
- Your child can use these blocks for imaginative play
- This toy will grow with your child giving you value for money
Manhattan Toy Tree Top Adventure Activity Center Board Game
The Manhattan Toy Tree Top Adventure Activity Center Board Game is the perfect toy to prepare 1 year olds for moving pieces around a board which they will do once they are old enough to play regular board games.
The activity center board game has lots of activities for your child to have fun with!
There are spring flaps, dials to spin, bead runs to work the beads up and down, and shape recognition.
With so many activities for your one year old to explore, this toy will keep them entertained and busy for hours on end.
This activity center is colorful and large, measuring 22.5 inches tall and eighteen inches wide.
Made entirely of wood and painted with a water based non-toxic paint, this activity center board game is safe for children.
Why We Recommend The Manhattan Toy Tree Top Adventure Activity Center Board Game
- Fantastic fun with lots of activities to keep toddlers engaged and entertained!
- This Activity center helps your child develop their fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination
- Your child will be able to use their imagination as they explore this toy tree
- Great for your child to play with by themselves or with other siblings and friends
- Will grow with your child as your 1 year old will have so many activities to figure out
Melissa & Doug First Shapes Jumbo Knob Wooden Puzzle Board Game
This simple Melissa & Doug First Shapes Jumbo Knob Wooden Puzzle Board Game is perfect for 1 year olds who love to figure stuff out!
The puzzle board game is made out of thick wood and is a cottage with five distinct shapes; an oval, square, rectangle, circle and triangle.
Each shape has a knob attached to make it easier for your one year old to place the pieces in the puzzle and to remove them.
Children can use the removable pieces to learn colors, counting and identify shapes.
Why We Recommend The Melissa and Doug First Shapes Jumbo Knob Puzzle Board Game
- Great fun puzzle board game for your child to enjoy!
- This puzzle will help your one year old develop fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination
- With your help, your young child can use the pieces of this puzzle for shape and color recognition
- Helps your child develop early problem solving skills
- Can help your child start to learn counting
- Completing the puzzle board game will boost your toddler’s confidence
- The knobs on each piece make it easy for small hands to play with